• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reset the airbag light ?

Social Waste

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Cherokee Classic that was just repaired from a front end collision where both airbags deployed. In an effort to get my truck back quicker, I am going to make the appointment with a Jeep dealership myself to reset the airbag light in my vehicle as the body shop cant do it. My question is cant I just reset the codes with my own ODB scanner or is their something special that the dealership does. And if it isn’t complicated can I do it my self. I hate the thought of paying someone for something that I can do myself. Almost as much as I hate the thought of someone else messing with my jeep.
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Were the deployed airbags replaced ? Also the airbag controller, I don't know but are they a 'one shot' deal and also need to be replaced once they are 'used' in an accident.

Every thing that should be replaced was replaced, Its now my understanding that their is special software that Chrysler has & does not sell that is needed to reset the airbag light. seems odd to me but not unbelivable.

Social Waste said:
Every thing that should be replaced was replaced, Its now my understanding that their is special software that Chrysler has & does not sell that is needed to reset the airbag light. seems odd to me but not unbelivable.

Probably allows them to keep detailed track of major repairs where the vehicle hits hard enough to fire them...

once all the new parts are in the air bag systems runs test and if everything passes the light will go off
never heard of resetting lights for air bag lights
worked at chrysler for 15 years.

Is there a way to determine what component has failed (scanner) if the Air Bag light is on or does the shop do a diagnostic?

My ZJ light just came on for no aparent reason so I'm assuming the test it preforms at start up is finding a fault. Before I subject it to the horrors of a dealership I'd like to know if I can identify the problem first.

Back