• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Testing the viscus (sp?) fan clutch . . . .

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
I suspect mine is ready for replacement again. I know that, with the engine at operating temperature, you shut-off the engine and move the fan by hand and you're supposed to feel some resistance. My problem is nobody has ever defined for me what that means . . . . . . are we talking tough-to turn, or only slightly-less-free-turning? Even when this fan clutchwas new (this is on my 88), I cannot say I noticed a whole lot of resistance. At the present time, I feel no difference (cold vs hot) at all. I'm pretty certain I'll just go ahead and change it . . . . but, maybe you guys can help me better understand what to check for. TIA Don (BTW, I'm really not interested in changing to an electric fan.)

If you dont' feel any difference when the motor is hot or cold then i'd say go and replace it, they ain't to expensive anyway. Anyway when its hot its not gonna be a bear to try to spin the fan but should be noticeably tougher to spin than when the motor was cold, if you give it a good push when hot it should stop moving by itself after no more than a full spin or so really. I'd pick it up from the dealer if ya could, at the dealer its actually not overpriced and the fitment of it is better as some aftermarkets don't fit properly, plus quality is better.

Eric

Is not normally difficult to determine if a fan clutch is bad. If it is not locked up or/and wobbly on the shaft it is still good. Have yet to see one that did not work correctly if these two things were okay. Generally what goes bad is that the silicone fluid leaks out and then locks up. I trust the clutch your's has is the thermostatically controlled type? This is the only kind that is worth anything. Also, make sure if it does have that bimetal piece on the front of the clutch that it is not covered with crud not allowing it to adjust as needed.

Judd W. VA said:
[. . . . if it does have that bimetal piece on the front of the clutch . . . . [/B]

Yes, it does and it appears clear . . . . it's not loose nor leaking.

Back