• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering getting noisy...

ZmOz

NAXJA Forum User
Last night I got lost down town...had to make alot of turns at full lock. Today when I first started my XJ I heard a weird whining noise under the hood, and I think it was the PS pump. I also noticed that when making turns it's a bit louder than it used to be. Is my pump on the way out? Something else needs to be replaced/adjusted? The fluid is clean and at the right level...I just flushed it about 6000 miles ago.

'96 XJ, 200,000 miles...

Sounds like it might be on its way out.

Its not too hard to change out.

You first need to make sure you're identifying the noise correctly, so the first thing to do is to make sure the belt is good and tight (4.0 serpentine belts must be very tight, and a gauge helps here) and in good shape. If you're sure the belt is right, then the noise is likely from the pump. Some whine or buzz is pretty common, and I wouldn't worry much as long as it works well and doesn't get worse in a hurry. It might be worthwhile to see if a better grade of fluid, or some kind of additive, might help it quiet down.

Back