• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical problem

90NHXJ

NAXJA Forum User
A few weeks ago my wife posted a question about her lights on her 97 Grand Cherokee flickering on and off. I finally witnessed it myself. The lights (every light in and outside of the vehicle) flicker on and off real fast and even, like a flasher on high. I can hear a relay clicking under the passenger side kick panel but was unable to determine which one it was before the problem stopped. I'm thinking the relay may be going bad and losing its magnetic ability during periods of high electrical load. Does anyone have a diagram showing the relays/fuses under that kick panel? 97 Grand, 4.0, loaded to the hilt with power options (maintenance nightmare for me). Thanks in advance.

Sounds like it could also be a circuit shorting to ground. I don't have a schematic for those fuses, but it probably wouldn't hurt to make sure all of the wires are in-tact and not grounding to bare metal.

Most headlights use a thermal circuit breaker rather than a fuse (that way if you have an overload you don't just lose your lights all at once), and that flashing is the typical behavior for the breaker. Either there is a short in the system or it's overloaded. Does the GC have aftermarket high-wattage headlights? That could do it.

It's also possible that the breaker itself has gotten too sensitive. You'll have to find a diagram (sorry, I don't have) to locate the breaker, but these things are usually little rectangular cans about an inch long, plugged in to either the fuse panel or a relay center.

Back