• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PSI for driving on snowy/icy roads

vbjornsson

NAXJA Forum User
Snowboard season is starting and I am fairly new to the world of four wheeling. I was just wondering how much you guys thought I should air down my tires for driving up the mountain to snowboard. I have 31x10.5 BFG mud terrains. Suggestions would be great.

vbjornsson said:
Snowboard season is starting and I am fairly new to the world of four wheeling. I was just wondering how much you guys thought I should air down my tires for driving up the mountain to snowboard. I have 31x10.5 BFG mud terrains. Suggestions would be great.
those tires will need all the help they can get. I always ran normal street pressure in my tires on snowy roads with no big problems, but the BFG MTs were definitely the worst I've had. See if you can get them siped at a tire shop, that will help a lot.

Over the years I've found going down by 2-5 PSI is helpfull and won't hurt fuel economy too bad. Plus softer tire can take some of the jolt out of running over icy rutts etc.

This is by no means substitute for good tires, some tires are definatly not rated for winter driving, and any bald tires (50% wear or more) should not be used.

To find the ideal pressure of your tires, with chalk, draw a line across the tread and drive foward just enough to wear it off as you drive. You want to set the tire pressure so that the chalk is rubbed off the tread all the way across execpt for maybe an inch on the outer edges of the tread. This has worked for me and my tires. I got around 60K the last set of A/Ts I had using this methiod and my current A/Ts are looking pretty good.

AARON

Back