• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me decide

Which wheels

• Stock 15x7 Eccos

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Black street locks

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Mickey thompson classic ll

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • other

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xjjeepthing

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a set of 31x10.50r15 trxus M/Ts was going to buy a new set of black Crager steel street lock wheels to mount them on some of the local Jeep guys ive been meeting tell me i should mount them on my stock 15x7 Eccos so i wont have rub problems, my XJ is a Solar Yellow 01 with a 3" BDS lift. Most of the local guys are not wheelin XJ's so i thought i would ask here.The cragers are 3.75 back space and 15x8. Not sure what to do,wife would like me to buy polished aluminum not sure i want it to look like a H2.
Sorry this is long should i use the stock wheels and put the money else where on the XJ, buy the steelies or buy the aluminum wheels ? Any info is helpfull.

bowhunter said:
I just bought a set of 31x10.50r15 trxus M/Ts was going to buy a new set of black Crager steel street lock wheels to mount them on some of the local Jeep guys ive been meeting tell me i should mount them on my stock 15x7 Eccos so i wont have rub problems, my XJ is a Solar Yellow 01 with a 3" BDS lift. Most of the local guys are not wheelin XJ's so i thought i would ask here.The cragers are 3.75 back space and 15x8. Not sure what to do,wife would like me to buy polished aluminum not sure i want it to look like a H2.
Sorry this is long should i use the stock wheels and put the money else where on the XJ, buy the steelies or buy the aluminum wheels ? Any info is helpfull.

31x10.50s will rub on your LCAs, but it shouldn't hurt anything(stock wheels). If you get new wheels, get 15x8s so that if you go up to a 12.50 tire in the future they will still be good.

Get some black rockcrwlers, 15x8, with 3.75" or 4.0" of backspacing. Don't get 15x7. You will be fine with 15x8 and plus you can get bigger tires later and keep the same wheels.

If you keep the stock wheels, you can avoid contact with the LCA's by adjusting the steering stops slightly as shown here:
http://www.imajeep.com/Steering_Stop_Adjust/adjusting_steering_stop.htm

If you decide on new wheels, I would use a backspacing of 4.5". 3.75" of B.S. will have those 31's rubbing the flares when offroad (maybe even on the road) on your 3" of lift as they would move your tires out 1 1/2" on each side.

If you are dead set on the 3.75" BS wheels you mentioned earlier, you will have to do some cutting, get some extended flares (or TJ flares), or go higher on the lift to avoid rubbing the flares.

I run 245x75x16 (approx. 31"x9.5") MTR's on a 16x8 with 5.00 BS and they do not rub anywhere with around 4" lift even with the sway bar disconnected.

Go with steelies, not Street-Locks, and get them with a 4-4.5 bs.
Steel can be bent to hold air if you dent it, and only cost 40 bones or so to replace.
Alloys are lighter, but are expensive if you do a lot of offroading in the rocks.

Wait...its Solar Yellow...
Street Locks will be fine.
I did not notice that the rig is Solar Yellow.
That changes everything.

:laugh2:

Get the black steelies in a 15x8 with 3.75 or 4" BS. Then when you go to a bigger tire, and you know you will, you will have a set of rims that work. You will regret the 7" rim if you decide to go to 12.50 tires. Plus if you thrash the steelie you can replace them cheep, from what ive seen the Eccos are cheep and the MT's are almost as bad.. just my .02

Thanks for the info guys new to the whole jeep thing,so far its awesome.
I think bgcntry72 is having a bit of fun, thats cool and yes i like the black street locks because i think they would look good on yellow rig. Have a lot i want to do but takes time so i'm sure ill have more questions and i think i probably join the association. Thanks again

i'd go with the 15x7 with a 10.50 tire.. it will hold the bead better when you run aired down.. and if you decide to go bigger in the future it's easier to sell a set of used tires that is already mounted on wheels.. if you are really serious about wheeling the rig, go with a steel wheel and don't mess up the ECCO wheels.. sell them for a few $$ to offset your purchase.

Back