• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

something between d44/d60

bj-666

NAXJA Forum User
i've done some searching but couldn't fine exactly what i'm looking for. i'm looking for a front axle with strength between a d44 and a d60 i like the idea of a 60 but it is a little too big and the only thing i don't like is the small size of the joints in the 44 after all the most common thing i break on my d30 is joints and it seems pointless to move up to a bigger housing with the same joints. i know i can upgrade shafts and joints but that is like $1000 alone any other axles have big u-joints similar to the 60 but size like a 44?

You have 3 options... (roughly)

1. A custom front 9" axle (ford centersection with whatever outers you choose) Check out sunrayengineering.com and Currie.

2. A Ford Dana 50

3. Get the 44 and upgrade the shafts/joints/hubs with warn chromoly and CTM or OX parts.

You might also consider a front fj60/65 or maybe 80 axle if your feeling ambitious...

Also, dont forget...
Even though the d-50 is an option, factor in the problem of a super short drivers side axle tube on most of the models. Not enough room for a coil perch if you want the axle to sit centered under the vehicle. I have that problem with my d60 front, but solved it with Coil overs...

thanx guys what are the d50's out of. as always as close to the same setup is best. I don't mind welding new brakets on but shortening seems like a little much for me. I was thinking about running the 44 but upgrading shafts is over a grand.

I'd suggest getting alloys shafts and stronger aftermarket u-joints for the 30, or get a hp 44 and then get those alloy shafts and u-joints. At least with putting $ into a hp44, you will get your $ out of it much more readily if you sell it later on and if you keep it, you knw you have a good axle. The 44 is so easy to get parts for and is a great base to work with. Just try and get a hp 44 because moving from a hp 30 to a LP 44 is not the greatest.

The Dana 50 mono-beam (as opposed to TTB) went under most ford half ton pickups from the early 80's to present. Esentially the same housing as the dana 60 units, though the interior casting is thicker to allow for a smaller carrier and 9" ring gear. Pinion is also much shorter in the d50, which is good for short wheelbase rigs like jeeps. Smaller housing equals less pinion walk than the 60, and has more available material to be shaved away from the bottom of the housing for clearance.
Downside is that it lacks a plethora of gear sets and lockers, and only has 30 spline axle shaft available. Tri County gear in california got together with ARB and developed a locker for it just this last year. Ratios go as low as 5.13. The 50 has the same diff cover as the 60 as well, which means plenty of options in that department. Not to mention the 50 is pretty plentiful, which means a significantly lower price than the sky-rocketing 60's.

Sounds like you have some great ideas ArcticXJ. U really have to look at what you need and what you can get cheaper out there and make work. Custome axles are extremely expensive, so getting bone yard axles and then building them with the good stuff (gears, locker, alloy shafts etc) seems like a good plan. The ford 8.8 is a good example of that too because it is very plentiful, has great disc brakes, and is strong. How does the dana 50 look? You said it has the same diff cover as the 60?

Back