• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

track bar ball joint noise, help!

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
i need someones help
ok heres the deal. i have a 3 inch kit with 2 inch spacers and shackles
i also have an adjustable track bar
whenever im still or driving , when i turn my wheel left or right i hear this popping noise thats really annoying. i had a friend turn the wheel and took a look and found that when the wheel is turned left, the ball joint end of the adj. track bar is making the noise, i can see and hear, and feel it. what can i do, its tight at the axle mount, could it not be adjusted correctly? what do i do please help me !

Sounds like the joint is shot. Does it have a replaceable joint? Mine didn't. The problem tends to lie it the fact that the joint on most of the trac bars has a limited range of movement. During flex, the joint is overextended and becomes loose in the socket. I've gone through two in quick succession. My bar did not have an easily replaceable end. I got a one ton TRE and reamed the mounting bracket so the larger tapered shank would fit. I then got a piece of 1.5" steel rod, drilled out one end to the diameter of the TRE shaft, and the other to the diameter of the trac bar. I cut off the track bar, shoved the two together and welded them. It has held up well. The one ton TRE's have a ton more range of motion.

ok, what do you mean by easy replacable ?? my trac bar is a rocky road outfitters adjustable track bar. the one for 99. the adjustment end is the end which mounts to the body. last night i was hearing the noise alot, and now today i dont hear or feel it at all. but i nkow that next time i go offroad im gonna hear it, i dont think i could use all those things that you did to yours, do you have any other suggestions. and if you mean easy replacement of just the ball joint end, where do i get the replacement ? thanks for helping/

Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt Rocky Road Outfitters market the JKS/ORGS trackbar?
*Edit* Okay, just checked, and Im wrong... I must have been thinking about a different outfitter.
Rocky Road states that their trac-bar is supposed to be sufficient up to 6" of lift, (and they didnt specify a brand in particular) which means, technically, you should be able to sustain/accomodate the extended height and range of motion provided by a 6" lift. You say you have less than that. Theoretically, if yours is "over extending" as one suggested, then the product is at fault for not being sufficient to sustain the travel incorporated into such a suspension. If over-extending actually is causing the premature wear, I would suggest taking the issue up with RRO, themselves.

Last edited:
Back