• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Triangle window replacement

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
Some jerk broke into my xj last night and broke the small triangle window on the passenger side. Anyway, went down to pick-n-pull and got a window out of an 84 (I have a 95). I doesn't look like it will fit, will it? The number on the window is 43r-001023. Anybody have any experience? Thanks in advance.
David

When you say you got a window, what did you get? The front vent window assembly is a unit that consists of the window in its frame, and the frame itself includes the front track for the main window glass. It is attached by a couple of torx screws in the top of the door frame, and a single bolt at the bottom of the long track inside the door. It isn't terribly hard to replace, but you do have to take the door panel out, and remove the ouside trim/weatherstrip too. If you got the whole assembly, it should fit any XJ from 1984 to 96. If you got just the movable part of the window, it probably won't fit even if you are able somehow to disassemble the unit, because there was a change somewhere around 86 or 87 in the latch, and perhaps in other details of the window.

edit: I realize you didn't say above that you got an opening window. Like the opening version it's supposed to come as a unit including the frame, and I don't know whether it would be possible to shoehorn a piece of glass into the rubber gaskets without breaking it or the gaskets.

Last edited:
I just had the exact same thing happen, on a 94. Did you find out any information anywhere? I realize your post is quite old, I hope you got it resolved inexpensively.

Whether you get the opening window or the fixed one, the assembly is the same, and should come with the surrounding gasket and the track. I haven't looked at a fixed one to see how difficult it would be just to replace the glass, but it's not supposed to be done that way. You can replace the glass in the opening version, but you still have to take the whole frame assembly out first .

We just had a nasty blizzard here, and it's cold and I'm not sure I can even make my way to the part of the barn where an old fixed window assembly might be lurking. If I can, I'll look it over and see if there's any possibility of glass-only repair.

As far as I know, all 84-96 doors will accept the assembly from each other, but I know that the design of the opening windows changed a couple of times, and the fixed one might have a little too. I wouldn't count on components interchanging.

I had to replace my vent window last year due to vandalisim. For anyone needing to do this, I would follow Matthew Currie's advice and just purchase the window within its frame from a local yard. I think I paid $35 for the unit (window in frame) from a local yard. It isn't hard to do, and I have to believe that replacing the entire unit is easier than trying to replace just the glass (and I have the opening type window). The only thing different in my 88XJ from what Matthew stated was that my rig did not have torx screws, but had standard phillips head screws securing the frame to the door. That may not be OEM, but it was like that when I purchased the vehicle.

Back