• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front hub conversion

whoozey1953

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody else make a front hub conversion for lockouts other than Warn?

They seem waaaay too proud of their kit to charge what they want for what you get.

If you have a link, that would be appreciated.

TIA

xj_punk said:
buy a d44 that comes with them dumbass.
a bigger, better axle for less money than a conversion kit.

Where did you find a d44 w/ XJ brackets for less than $650? For some people that isn't the best option. Besides, that wasn't his question anyway.

The Mile Marker hubs aren't that much cheaper than the Warn set. One thing good about the Warn's is that they have a lifetime warranty (I don't believe MM hubs have one). The warranty is a good thing to have because if you are going to use the 5 on 4.5" kit, it is going to be the weak-link of your front axle. It is nice having a weak-link that has a lifetime warranty and is easy to replace. It isn't a bad idea to order an extra hub as a spare. I don't believe anyone else makes a 5 on 5.5" conversion other than Warn.

With the super 30 kit that comes with an ARB locker and 31 spline shafts, you can build a d30 as strong as a d44. The ring and pinion are smaller, but you are more likely to break an axle shaft than shear the teeth off of your gears. The new rubicon d44s use the same outers as the d30, so they really aren't that much stronger. If you have the 5 on 4.5" hub conversion, the hub is going to be the first thing to go, and they are a simple trail repair. Just pull off the wheel and put on the new hub.

xj_punk said:
buy a d44 that comes with them dumbass.
Classy response. You call a guy a dumbass for asking a valid question? I guess your username says a lot about who you are "xj_punk". Let me guess - 17 years old, have drivers license for a year and you think you are top shit about jeeps?

a bigger, better axle for less money than a conversion kit.
Debateable. Not everyone needs a Dana 44, and not everyone has the means or know-how to swap one in. In some cases, it could end up costing more. Maybe the guy wants to run what he's got. Maybe he doesn't wheel at all but wants serviceable hubs and a smoother on-road ride having the front DS and gears not spinning. What if he only runs 31" tires? I suppose you think he needs a Dana 44 for that as well?

To the original poster:

Yes MileMarker has a hub kit also and is cheaper than Warn. From what I understand it uses nearly identical parts but the Warn stub shafts are alloy. The MM kit is also supposed to include the hub socket where the Warn kit does not include it. I had to buy this tool seperately and cost me $16 at Napa. Sorry no links for the MM kit.

chassellbandit said:
doesn't superwinch or sumthin make one too?
Superwinch doesn’t make a hub conversion kit for the XJ or at least its not listed that way. They have a couple of conversion kits, but I believe that they are for the old full size Cherokees that had full time 4 wheel drive. It would be nice if somebody besides Mile Marker and Warn would make the conversion kits. Maybe a little competition would get the prices down to reasonable amount. At any rate, here is a link to Superwinch if you want to talk to them about it:

http://www.superwinch.com/pages/hubs.html#Anchor-51540

I agree with Punk, but not in his delivery. I think the hub kit is a waste of $$ on the 30 when you could be very much into a dana 44 at that point. If you do want the hub kit for the 30, then I wouldn't go with anything less than Warn, they are a good company and I wouldn't feel that confident in paying a little less for the other brands out there. I've just got a hp 44/ford 9" full width that I want to put in my xj, but I'm looking to sell my current 30/44 that hasn't let me down yet on 35's. The 30 is a pretty good axle, but putting hubs on it for $800+ is crazy. I rather put that $ into alloy shafts and CTMS or on an arb, or even the Super 30 kit if I just started with a fresh 30 and didn't have any $ into it yet.
Troy

Big Red said:
I agree with Punk, but not in his delivery. I think the hub kit is a waste of $$ on the 30 when you could be very much into a dana 44 at that point. If you do want the hub kit for the 30, then I wouldn't go with anything less than Warn, they are a good company and I wouldn't feel that confident in paying a little less for the other brands out there. I've just got a hp 44/ford 9" full width that I want to put in my xj, but I'm looking to sell my current 30/44 that hasn't let me down yet on 35's. The 30 is a pretty good axle, but putting hubs on it for $800+ is crazy. I rather put that $ into alloy shafts and CTMS or on an arb, or even the Super 30 kit if I just started with a fresh 30 and didn't have any $ into it yet.
Troy

I already have the locker/gears in it, new front driveline, but still get vibes @ 70mph. I just want to keep it from turning around town.

This is probably a newb question, so pardon my ignorance and for interupting your thread. I did a quick search, but I am still a little confused. What exactly is the reasoning for doing a front hub conversion? Thanks.

In the unlocked position, the front driveshaft, differential gears, and axle shafts will not spin as you go down the road. The benefits of this are:

- eliminates vibration caused by front driveshaft spinning
- reduces wear and tear on u-joints and gears

Other benefits are:

- hubs are serviceable, wereas stock unit hubs are not and cost over $100 to replace with new ones
- trail fixes are easy. If you break a u-joint, inner shaft, or ring and pinion, you can simply unlock the hubs and still drive home. If the hub is the weak link and it breaks, it is a quick and easy trail fix if you have a spare.

EricsXJ said:
Let me guess - 17 years old, have drivers license for a year and you think you are top shit about jeeps?

Hey, I resent that remark..............:wierd:

EricsXJ said:
Debateable. Not everyone needs a Dana 44, and not everyone has the means or know-how to swap one in. In some cases, it could end up costing more. Maybe the guy wants to run what he's got. Maybe he doesn't wheel at all but wants serviceable hubs and a smoother on-road ride having the front DS and gears not spinning. What if he only runs 31" tires? I suppose you think he needs a Dana 44 for that as well?

I'm going to have to agree with Eric here. There has been no comment on what he is currently running. D30s have been holding up to 35s for a long time, and no one person can justify a price based on someones elses plans. I am currently building a Hp 44 and my tires are 32's with no upgrades any time soon. I am actually buying new 32's when I put the 44 in. Who is to say if what I will have spent is worth it. Just answer the guys questions about the hub kits and try to refrain from asking why............. :lecture:

I'm tellin ya, people get behind a keyboard and just wanna mouth off since now they can't get smacked. A sign of true intelligence...I try to ignore them cuz they never go away otherwise... :D

Eric hit it right on. After I installed the 4:88s, my front shaft had some vibes due to it spinning MUCH faster and the pinion angle being a hair off. The hub kit fixed the issue, and made road trips much quieter.
BUT, it IS alot of money to spend on a 30. I messed up and did it, and now I'm building a front 44 so I'll lose some good coin on the deal.
If you KNOW you'll keep the 30, it's a good mod.

Back