• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 auto trans into '87 manual?

What you need to do:

Get the donor AW4, TCU, TPS, and shifter (and any other associated parts I didn't think of offhand.) While you're at it, simplify things by grabbing the mated tcase, if it's still there - as well as the driveshafts. And the wiring for the TCU.

Remove all the manual transmission parts (and the TPS on the throttle body - the AT version is a "doubled" sensor, while the MT uses a "single" sensor.)

Install AT parts and electronics, along with tcase and driveshafts.

Crate up the clutch pedal goodies and send them to me( :laugh3: )! I've got a conversion in the works for my 87...

I know that's hideously oversimplified, but I wanted to point out that you can save work by "shotgunning" your parts expidition, and that there is that oddball electronic issue to handle with the TPS.

I'd probably have use for any small removed parts, the clutch linkage, and I doubt that Tcase might make its way out here, but you never know... We can talk deal via PM or email...

5-90

I believe that the drive shafts are going to be different length as well.

Search is your friend! :)

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23884&highlight=aw4

I did this swap last spring so far so good. You pretty much need a donor truck for all the parts.

Tranny, computer, wiring harness, crossmember, driveshafts, rad with tranny cooler(or seperate cooler), shift tower, shift cable, downshift cable, TPS, I'm sure I forgetting some stuff.

Its all bolt in, and the wiring harness for the tranny just plugs in. But it is a big job.

On my 85, the hole for the tcu did not exist and I had to put a hole in the firewall at a very inaccessable point. PIA

Back