• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rancho RS 9000X Settings

01-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Any one running the 9000X series shocks?

I was wondering what the different settings feel like, and perhaps what the "best" setting is.

I'm going to be installing them on my 2001 Sport when I install my 3.5" RE SuperFlex lift, and I was just wondering what setting other people have their shocks set at.

I'm not going to get the in-cab controller because of the cost, and besides, i don't think that i will do alot of fiddling with the settings once i figure out what works. So that is why I'm asking those of you that have fiddled, what the "best" setting was.

Thanks in advance,
~Jeremy

01-XJ said:
Any one running the 9000X series shocks?

I was wondering what the different settings feel like, and perhaps what the "best" setting is.

I'm going to be installing them on my 2001 Sport when I install my 3.5" RE SuperFlex lift, and I was just wondering what setting other people have their shocks set at.

I'm not going to get the in-cab controller because of the cost, and besides, i don't think that i will do alot of fiddling with the settings once i figure out what works. So that is why I'm asking those of you that have fiddled, what the "best" setting was.

Thanks in advance,
~Jeremy

hey jeremy, first of all, there was a special going where if you buy the four shocks, you get the incab for free! I definitely recomend it. I have the four shocks with the incab and it works great. I am able to go from 1 all the way around to 9 if desert running. A good all around setting is 2 front and 3 rear. It is not too stiff but also pretty firm. I definitely recomend the in cab though to be able to really enjoy the flexibility.

on the street, i run 3 in the back, and 4 in the front...more weight up front.

I have soft springs too.

For the fast desert stuff, 9's all the way.

tcm glx said:
hey jeremy, first of all, there was a special going where if you buy the four shocks, you get the incab for free! I definitely recomend it. I have the four shocks with the incab and it works great. I am able to go from 1 all the way around to 9 if desert running. A good all around setting is 2 front and 3 rear. It is not too stiff but also pretty firm. I definitely recomend the in cab though to be able to really enjoy the flexibility.

But I already have the shocks. Thanks anyway.

What happens if the air line breaks? Do the shocks have some kind of default setting that they go to?

Robert

Also, what would be the setting for the shocks that would most mimic the stock suspension feel? Just to get a starting point...

~Jeremy

I've used RS9000s for a long time. Set them on "1" front and rear if you want to retain close to "stock feel" ... that's what a Rancho tech rep recommended.

After you discover what the RE suspension upgrade will do itself to improve that "stock feel" by removing torsional pitch, then adjust shock dampening rates to your liking. I run the rears on "1" and fronts on "5" around town... without a load.

01-XJ said:
Also, what would be the setting for the shocks that would most mimic the stock suspension feel? Just to get a starting point...

~Jeremy

theyre made to be adjusted...so have fun trying different settings.
it all comes down to personal preference and vehicle control under different conditions for different driving styles. I suggest you install them, then spend a few days changing the settings while you drive around. I find, that because of the increased mass in front, that higher damping settings work better. the rear has much less mass therefore, i use a lower setting. ON THE STREET.

play with it. find the setting YOU like. then go offroad and try the same.

if you find that youre always hitting your bumpstops at speed over bumps, increase the setting and see how it changes the behavior of your suspension.
I found that i need all the stiffness i can get while offroad in the fast stuff, so i set them all the way up.
the thing rides like a pogostick with them turned up on the street, but offroad i can jump the thing and not land too hard.

peace

word of caution on running the stiffest setting. If you do alot of high speed desert, the shocks will heat up very fast. Ive discolored the shock shafts many times from excessive heat, even broke a couple. If you run the stiffest setting in the rear you might start pulling out the crossmember on the passenger side.

yea, they heat up a good amount. I only go fast for a few min. at at time though. Thanks for the heads up on the rear crossmember. I've been wanting to make a new one that basically welds in on top of the stock one, but i also want to bring them up into the jeep attached to a cage at some point.

Back