• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4" and no SYE???

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
What are the odds of me getting by without an SYE or lengthened DS on my '91 with a 4-4.5" lift and 32's? If it came down to it i could use a DS from a 5sp but really am on a budget so if i can't get away with it i think i'll keep it to a 3" lift and 32's and just do some hacking.

Thanx,

Eric

Since your jeep is a 91, you might not encounter any vibes whatsoever.

Justin

I wouldnt think you will have any vibe problems out of a 91. A friend of mine in our local jeep club is running the RE 4.5 on a 2000 and doesnt have vibes. (his is more prone to vibration than yours.)

Vibes are not the only concern.How much spline engagement do you have? how much when you flex it up?
Wayne

5.5 RE on a 88 Did the Rubicon w/no problems!!

eric91xj,

A friend on mine and I did the Rubicon two years ago and had no problems. He has a 1988 Jeep Cherokee with a slip yoke off a YJ.

Joe

My 93 with Chrysler 8.25 ran at 4.5" for a year + without a Tcase drop or SYE no problem. Everyone is different, but I'd *assume* you should be ok.

Chris is right - it depends. My '92 has no vibes at 4.5", but then again I have a 5spd DS and D44. HOWEVER, I do have a binding problem at the SY U-joint at full droop - which I expect to fix by substituting a YJ SY end.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

I have 5" of lift, 32 bfg"s , auto trans and an 8.25 rear end on a 94 xj. I have no sye, no vibes and no yoke extender. All runs sweet and i have never had a problem with anything. :cheers: :clap: :guitar:

eric91xj said:
What are the odds of me getting by without an SYE or lengthened DS on my '91 with a 4-4.5" lift and 32's? If it came down to it i could use a DS from a 5sp but really am on a budget so if i can't get away with it i think i'll keep it to a 3" lift and 32's and just do some hacking.

Thanx,

Eric

Eric,

I am running Rusty's 4.5" kit (which has actually given me about 6" of lift) and I do not use a SYE kit. All I have is a 1" transfer case drop kit (in reality some thick aluminum washers).

Mine is a 1984 though.

Rgds

Back