• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks TT vs Borla

Which one is the better option?

• Banks TorqueTube

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • Borla Header

Votes: 42 40.4%

• Total voters

gmanxj

NAXJA Forum User
Well..I finally have the cracked exhaust manifold syndrome. So I'm wondering which one to replace it with. I like both replacements, but is the Bank's TorqueTube worth the extra dough?

I ahve used Borla on 3 of Jeeps now, and would look back. tried Flowmaster and Magnaflow.... but from I have felt and $$. Borla.

I like my banks. I put mine on about a year ago. It was an EASY install. No problems, everything fit, no leaks. The reason I went with the Banks was others I have talked with said the same thing. I talked with a couple that had problem installing their borla's. They had problems with the flange not fitting right against the head. I have had no problems with it, did notice some better performanc but it took like a week to really notice it. Not sure why. I am very satisfied with it.

5150xj said:
I like my banks. I put mine on about a year ago. It was an EASY install. No problems, everything fit, no leaks. The reason I went with the Banks was others I have talked with said the same thing. I talked with a couple that had problem installing their borla's. They had problems with the flange not fitting right against the head. I have had no problems with it, did notice some better performanc but it took like a week to really notice it. Not sure why. I am very satisfied with it.

Did you get the downpipe also or just the header?

The down pipe is not available for the XJ. I know on some sites it shows it but try to order it. They will tell you one is not available. Got that direct from Banks.

I've got the Banks and it was definitely worth it! More power, better exhuast tone, and should last longer than the stock ones I broke a pipe clean off of. 5150xj is right though, theres no downpipe available, but go to a shop that does exhaust work and they should be able to fab one up pretty fast.

just got my banks yesturday in the mail, very high quality and made out of a better stainless, 409. Can't wait to up it in and get rid of that stupid cracked manifold.

I like my Borla, but the only problem that I have with it, is when I stuff my passenger side tire, the driveshaft pinion hits the bottom of the header just before the downpipe meets it.

Unless they've done something about that within the past year, I'd look elsewhere....

I keep hearing that the Borla header gets hit by the pinion when the drivers side tire is stuffed, does this same problem exist with the banks, or did they fix it?

I havent had any experiance with Borla but I have had a problem with the Banks header. It cracked right where all the tubes come into the collector. Banks at first over the phone said they wouldnt warrente it since I didnt have a reciept for it so for $30 I had a local welding shop fix it and havent had a problem since. I did sent them an email expaining everything that went on and how I was disapointed in their actions on not upholding their warrente. Two days later I get a call and they will replace the header no charge so they did finally come through and made things right.

Would I go Banks again? Yes and no. Yes, I would go Banks again but be sure to hold onto the reciept. They lived up to their warrente and came through in the end and that counts for something. No, becaues I want to try the Borla just to compare the differences between them. A little variety never hurt anybody:D

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
I havent had any experiance with Borla but I have had a problem with the Banks header. It cracked right where all the tubes come into the collector. Banks at first over the phone said they wouldnt warrente it since I didnt have a reciept for it so for $30 I had a local welding shop fix it and havent had a problem since. I did sent them an email expaining everything that went on and how I was disapointed in their actions on not upholding their warrente. Two days later I get a call and they will replace the header no charge so they did finally come through and made things right.

Would I go Banks again? Yes and no. Yes, I would go Banks again but be sure to hold onto the reciept. They lived up to their warrente and came through in the end and that counts for something. No, becaues I want to try the Borla just to compare the differences between them. A little variety never hurt anybody:D

AARON

How's your stroker coming along aaron?

I've had the Borla header with downpipe on my XJ for the last 7 years and 113k miles and I've never had a problem with it. I think that's testament to the Borla's durability.

BajaXJ92 said:
How's your stroker coming along aaron?

Its been in and running since Thanksgiving with out any problems (Knock on wood) I had the bottom end built in the afternoon before Thanksgiving day, then finished the top end before I ate Thanksgiving dinner, and then Friday morning finished putting all the accessory brackets, motor mounts, and tranny on and started to drop it in after lunch. The motor was in place and wired up that day and I started it (Just to see if it would run but no driving or breaking in the cam) about 11pm that night. Saturday morning I broke in the cam, changed oil, and then put 100 miles on it that day and changed the oil again. Just cruizing around town, the stroker feels like I am driving my dads Impalla with the LT1. The torque is amazing. Hopefully after Christmas I can get an Apexi SAFC installed on it and go dyno tune it and see how much HP its putting down.

AARON

I've also had a Borla header on for several years, and over 120,000 miles.

As far as the driveshaft/downpipe interference, I suspect that's due to an incorrect trackbar length, it's shifted to far to the passenger side. Mine has ran with both a 3" and a 6" lift, and as long as the axle was properly centered under the body, I didn't have any interference issues.

Borla, Banks doesn't offer oner for the non-HO engines :mad:

Borla,
they make a downtube for their header. If you've replaced the cat on back and put a header on, wouldn't you just want to replace the down tube too?

~Jeremy

Back