• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Droning from 29 spline 8.25" axles

8.25" version and noises or not?

• 27 spline, no noises

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • 27 spline, noises

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 29 spline, no noises

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • 29 spline, noises

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I have been reading back through some old posts and such, and it appears to me that folks that have had problems with their 8.25" making noises when it shouldnt, all seem to have the 29 spline version.

So, if you could do me a favor, and post up what version of the 8.25" you have, and what gears and TAD combo you are running, then I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Fergie

29 spline, 4.56 Yukon, & ARB. No specific noise problem. No louder than all the other noises booming through the interior.

29-spline, 3.55, No-Slip, no noise

Fergie,
You probably ran across some posts from me as I had droning sounds. BUT! I was able to determine that most, if not all the droning sound was the rear driveshaft and not the gears. When I went down to 4.56 gears that makes everything spin much faster than before... I thought my pinion angle was good with a 2* shim (SYE, blah blah blah) at least it looked good by eyeballing it. After closer measurements I had some room to go on the angle so I put in a 6* shim. That put the angle at 3* lower than perfectly level with the driveshaft. That helped the droning sounds to a good degree and now the droning is gone. There was a possibility that some of the droning was coming from the gears during the breakin period because just swapping shims didn't get rid of the sound 100%, but since then it has all gone away.

For the record I have 4.56 Yukon and an ARB.

I had a 29 spline 8.25 with no slip and 4.11's (superior I think) and it had no noises. Then I had 29 spline 8.25 with trac loc (new jeep) and it had no noises either. From what I remember reading (when I had the 8.25) the noises would start showing up at 4.11's and 4.56's ratios (more at 4.56's ratios) and mostly seemed to be due to the fact that they are PITA to setup and it seems that not everyone had the "touch" when it came to that axle.

Kejtar said:
LOL.... and maybe I should say that this is were my second axle ended up (oh yeah, I did drive with that axle only maybe about 500 miles tops).
Yeah, but when you had it, it didn't have the No-Slip. :)

I have 27 spline, No-slip and no name 4.56. My rearend makes all kinds of mean noises. If by droneing you mean a loud roar, then thats one of the noises mine makes. For the record I think my pinion bearing is shot. I have had the yoke off half a dozen times (replacing broken yokes and straps) and have always reused the nut. From what I have read, the nut is to be used once then replaced. I also would like to know if having the yoke off can any way mess with the r&p settings, or the crush sleeve. Does any one know if this is true? Sorry don't mean to hijack, but thought this would be a good post to ask in.

junkxj said:
I have 27 spline, No-slip and no name 4.56. My rearend makes all kinds of mean noises. If by droneing you mean a loud roar, then thats one of the noises mine makes. For the record I think my pinion bearing is shot. I have had the yoke off half a dozen times (replacing broken yokes and straps) and have always reused the nut. From what I have read, the nut is to be used once then replaced. I also would like to know if having the yoke off can any way mess with the r&p settings, or the crush sleeve. Does any one know if this is true? Sorry don't mean to hijack, but thought this would be a good post to ask in.

27 spline... booo.. jk

29sp Detroit 4.10 gears (can't remember what gears, they have a lifetime warranty, presision performance maybe) no noise other than normal Detroit clicks and pops.

genuine gear not the misspelled other.

29 spline, 4.56, Trac-loc, second set of gears, yukon orignal, value-gear second. Noise with the first, none with the value gear. I think it really comes down to who sets them up. I had a general mechanic set up the first, didn't use loc-tight on anything :wierd:, messed them up only after a year. A full-time jeep mechanic set up the second set, and I have no noise what so ever now.

29 spline, 3.55, open, factory gears. Had roughly 40,000 miles on it when I took it out of commission, no noises.

29 spline 4.56 no noises with No(piece of trash) Slip
another 29 spline on daughter#1 with 3.55 ARB and no noises
Daughter#2 29 spline 3.55 open no noises

the 8.25 is very choosy about the driveline angles and the gears can be very tough to setup correctly if the shop hasn't done a lot of them.

Gear set-up seems to be the consenus as far as noise goes.

But two different mechanics, 2 gear sets and new axle shafts and a new DS and there is still noise. Oh well, I guess that is why the Tacoma axle is going in.

Thanks for the input gents.

Fergie

Fergie said:
Gear set-up seems to be the consenus as far as noise goes.
Fergie

Wait... I have 29 spline 8.25 with 4.10. 4.5"RE lift with 4* shim on 32s. Had noise before RE CA drop brackets. It seems like the only affect to the rear driveline is 1/4" drop of the t-case but I have no more noise. Just a data point to ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back