• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd problems

RobCherokeeXJ89

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty well I have a 89 XJ 3 1/2" lift 32" tires NP231 auto. I've been having some problems in my 4wd lately and have come to some conclusions.

First off when I put it into 4wd I hear a clunk sound basically whenever the car is under stress, like turning or going up a hill, last trip I went on it did it a lot so I've came to a conclusion that it's the axle U-joints and just wanted to verify and see what you guys think. and if it is the U-Joints or one of them would i still b able to go on another run up to rowher flats before i replaced them... what do you guys think?

2nd I've been having some t-case problems, when i put my jeep into 4 low sometimes it'll want to pop out and it'll make a grinding noise. is this a loose chain?

My 93 pops out of low sometimes. You just aren't getting it engaged real good. Make sure the lever locks into place. It's probably from wear in the linkages, or worn mounts.

get under your rig and check the u-joints yourself.. dont just ask here.. noises under the jeep are something we all live with.. after a while you might start recognizing them just from the sound... in the mean tim eget under there and find it.. might be a chain thats stretched.. a tranny mount.. if its giving you porblems enough that you are concerned enough to ask here i'd say you probably shouldnt venture out for that "one last trip" without identifying the problem....

I actually had the EXACT problem(s)! My fix was a new set of motor mounts (the old ones were just destroyed!). I also adjusted the linkage for the lever to change from 2wd/4wd of the transfer case becasue it was a little off. I disconnected the one bolt and pushed the lever into 4wd low until it settled into place to where it wanted to be and then made sure the lever was in the 4/lo spot, tightened the bolt and it has not been a problem since.

Good luck!

Avery

Back