• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identify?

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
diff.bmp

can anyone identify this axle??

judging from the serial number on the left hand side of the axle snout I'd say the axle came from an era when bigger, clearer pictures were considered a "waste of time"

hope this helps.

Beezil said:
judging from the serial number on the left hand side of the axle snout I'd say the axle came from an era when bigger, clearer pictures were considered a "waste of time"

hope this helps.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

allright i guess somehow it ended up smaller than it should be...i have the bigger one on my comp but the program hosting it automatically makes it smaller. So can i email to someone to host?

beez.......your a funny guy

Looks kinda like a Timken with a 2 piece housing. They used them on some old Jeeps. But those long ass control arms say real old Chevy or Ford.

It also looks like you need a bigger picture :laugh3:

--Matt

Well, it ain't a Timken.

That little servo looking thing is interesting.

--Matt

couldent tell you much...but guessing its a 2 speed axle, looks like a old 2-speed motor there. but im not an expert.

There's a crappy drawing of an old Eaton 2 speed rear I came across that it slightly resembles. Also, there is a Columbia 2 speed rear used back in the day.

Still searchin.

-Matt

am8882a.jpg

That should be a better picture of the Eaton, so I think it rules that out.

--Matt

Equal parts Google and the unexplainable abilty to find wierd shit.

The three types of old school 2 speed diffs I've found and the Eaton, Columbia, and Ruxtel. The latter 2 being used in Fords and I can't find pictures of at the moment.

Where did you find Mr. E. Axle anyway?

--Matt

Beezil said:

hope this helps.
hilarious dude...friggin asshat funny.

oh yeah the axle...take a look at early model T's and such...i think i saw one of those on a T or was it an A...? from around those years anyways...i'll keep looking till somebody comes up with an Id. i think the two speeds were added because climbing a hill with 20 horses (yep its what they had) was much easier with 2 speeds...in fact i think i saw that (or similar) on my buddies speedster or crew...maybe it was the fordor. i'll have to go check...
Nim

Last edited:
well if you guys want to know it is an early model "A" rear. that didn't come of a jeep thats for sure .my step father was into collecting model "A"s and "T"s.if you look under the rear it is sitting on a bunch of old solid connect driveshafts.the two arms that project out the back are the old spring mounts . one a model a the rear was suspended with a singel leaf spring that sat side to side of the vehicle

it would have been used in say 1900 to 1930/40 early model cars . not just ford .most early cars used this type of set up .

Wil Badger said:
well if you guys want to know it is an early model "A" rear. that didn't come of a jeep thats for sure .my step father was into collecting model "A"s and "T"s.if you look under the rear it is sitting on a bunch of old solid connect driveshafts.the two arms that project out the back are the old spring mounts . one a model a the rear was suspended with a singel leaf spring that sat side to side of the vehicle

it would have been used in say 1900 to 1930/40 early model cars . not just ford .most early cars used this type of set up .

So is that a motor atached to the right side of the diff? if not do you know what it is?

i don't know .i have never seen a two speed rear in an older car .thats not to say they were never used.it's just i have never seen one. i do know the rear is an 1900 /1930 rear by the shape and the style of mounts.for all i know that could be some kind of early generator for lights .you should see some of the things they came up with back in the old days .my step father is dead so i can't ask him .

Back