• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift kit on Ebay

94_2wdcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all (IAM A ROOKIE AT THIS)

What do you guys think about buying kits off of Ebay. here is one that iam looking into

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33585&item=7940071359&rd=1

would you prefer doing this? Is it a complete kit? (remember iam a rookie at this so i dont know) Or is there going to be any extra things needed for it? I have searched on here and read about Rough Country and most of yall say they are not worth anything but iam only doing this for cosmetics only. i just want it to look good because it is a 2wd. Thanks In advance. All help will be appreciated.

Dyaln

94_2wdcherokee said:
Hey all (IAM A ROOKIE AT THIS)

What do you guys think about buying kits off of Ebay. here is one that iam looking into

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33585&item=7940071359&rd=1

would you prefer doing this? Is it a complete kit? (remember iam a rookie at this so i dont know) Or is there going to be any extra things needed for it? I have searched on here and read about Rough Country and most of yall say they are not worth anything but iam only doing this for cosmetics only. i just want it to look good because it is a 2wd. Thanks In advance. All help will be appreciated.

Dyaln
I have this lift on my 87 xj for around 10 months. My leaf springs got minor axel rap but i wheel it pretty hard. other than that I like the lift . Complet. looks great but ready for 6" rides great

The lift kits are a good value on ebay especially for the Rough Country ones. Do you want a 3, 4.5, or 6"+ lift? You can get a 3" kit for $225 with shocks from Rough Country direct. I did about 2 yrs ago and I know their prices are about the same. You can also get the 3" kit and bump it up with 2" spacers/2"blocks or shackles, or aal in the back and get longer shocks and control arms, trac bar, etc. If you decide to just go with a 3", then this is the less involved and all you need is the lift and shocks, no LCA, or trac bar mods, but anymore and you do. You might notice you front axle off to 1 side a very small degree with the 3"lift and the stock trac bar, but it's fine.

Mako on ebay I think sells RE stuff at a lower price.
Troy

Big Red said:
The lift kits are a good value on ebay especially for the Rough Country ones. Do you want a 3, 4.5, or 6"+ lift? You can get a 3" kit for $225 with shocks from Rough Country direct. I did about 2 yrs ago and I know their prices are about the same. You can also get the 3" kit and bump it up with 2" spacers/2"blocks or shackles, or aal in the back and get longer shocks and control arms, trac bar, etc. If you decide to just go with a 3", then this is the less involved and all you need is the lift and shocks, no LCA, or trac bar mods, but anymore and you do. You might notice you front axle off to 1 side a very small degree with the 3"lift and the stock trac bar, but it's fine.

Mako on ebay I think sells RE stuff at a lower price.
Troy

I Want 4.5 inches with full spring packs.

94_2wdcherokee said:
I just want to get about 4-5 inches of lift and not spend too much money because iam a broke ass college student

If you are broke-ass, then maybe you should wait to do any major lifts and start with a 2" budget boost. When you go 4-5" you need to do brakelines, tires are much more expensive, you'll be unhappy with the axle gearing, etc. It adds up quick.

2" is simple to install, doesn't require any other significant mods, and slightly larger tires make the truck look good without breaking the bank.

Lawn Cher' said:
If you are broke-ass, then maybe you should wait to do any major lifts and start with a 2" budget boost. When you go 4-5" you need to do brakelines, tires are much more expensive, you'll be unhappy with the axle gearing, etc. It adds up quick.

2" is simple to install, doesn't require any other significant mods, and slightly larger tires make the truck look good without breaking the bank.

I really dont know where i want to go with this but iam tired of driving it stock and i really want to give it a cosmetic lift. see i didnt understand that you would need all of these brake lines, axle regearing and some other little items because they dont sell all of that in the lifts. there is alot of items that is needed, even though the lift says this is all you need to do it right?

94_2wdcherokee said:
I really dont know where i want to go with this but iam tired of driving it stock and i really want to give it a cosmetic lift. see i didnt understand that you would need all of these brake lines, axle regearing and some other little items because they dont sell all of that in the lifts. there is alot of items that is needed, even though the lift says this is all you need to do it right?

Get the 3" Rough Country lift. I got mine for $225 with new coils, aal, and 4 shocks and easily ran 31's. Also this is very streetable, looks good, and you don't need to make any other mods. Once you go over 3-4" you need lower control arms, UCA, trac bar modified, brake lines, etc etc. and things get expensive real fast. Since this is also just 2wd, the 3"will look great and with 31"tires you will not need to regear and gas mileage shouldn't be effected that much. You can always bump the lift up 2"with a a budget boost in the future from your 3"lift and run 33's if you want to later.
Troy

iam only wanting to go 4-5 inches because i have a brand new set of 33x10.50's .. and i have been told by a few people that i can run thoose tires on a 4.5 lift with full spring pack, but iam not sure because i read about all this stuff that yall have to do to get 33's....is this guy BSING me or will it work?

IMO this is a great deal. Most lifts w/ lca are more than this and those are usually with aal/block. My budy had an xj w/ a 4.5" rough country lift with just a 3inch aal. He would jump that thing every where, landings were soooo smooth. Took it to rubicon and it performed beautifully as well. Some crawlers might not like this kit because of the higher spring rated coils, and fixed control arms. But this is a good deal. To bad about the shipping.

I had (key word) the 4.5 on my 99, I got what I paid for. Now I'm spending the money I should have the first time around. If you use this kit buy some extra Tie rod ends, your track bar will go shortly after and the upper control arms will last about a year before they are shot too. This is just my personal experience and I'm sure other people here will disagree with me.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Back