• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tach installation 1986 2.8/3.4L V6

hormel26c

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing an aftermarket tach in my 1986 XJ (V6 3.4L ignition for a 2.8L) and am having some trouble as to where to pick up the tach signal. The HEI external coil is a Delco-Remy with plugs and I'm not certain which one to go to.

I was also thinking of just going to the instrument cluster since I believe Jeep has a line into the connector even if a tach is not installed. Is this true? If so, which wire or which pin number would be correct?

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Should be pin #12. I'd tell you the wire color but I'm finding two different discriptions. BK/RD and GN/WT. Best go with whatever is attached to that pin.

Also #13 is the ignition feed (key on live).

Many thanks for that. I suspected pin 12, but couldn't be sure. The wire color I get from (the wrong) service manual is GN/TR, which in a ship is Green with trace of Red. Maybe it's my old eyes, but I can't see anything like that.
I'll look and see what's emerging from pin 12. Again thanks for that.

BTW, I can sympathize with your 2.8 in its last death throes. Mine coughed up its last blood a couple of weeks ago. Now, the 86 has a nice new 3.4L HT. It's SO much better than the 2.8. (And I'm sure my wife will get over it in time).

Cheers

Back