• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling fan, compressor cycling problems

98 sport

NAXJA Forum User
do all late model jeeps cycle on their a/c compressor and electric fan every 40 seconds or so for a duration of 5 seconds? I noticed my buddies 2000 did this too the other night when he was parked w/ the motor running. Im worried about burning up my compressor and or compressor clutch.$$$.
Is this normal, a problem, or just a normal problem. Thanks fellas!

1998 4dr 4L 4x4

It only does it when you have the defrosters on. Back when A/C first started being pretty much standard equipment you had to run the A/C every couple of months during the winter to keep the seals from drying out. Now the defrosters use the compressor to blow dry air which clears the moisture faster....

Your friend may want to have the freon checked.While the system cycles frequently what you describe is too much.Low freon is a cause of frequent cycling.
Wayne

Mine does it too. The wife and sister-in-law have both commented about it. I might buy one of those R-134a do-it-yourself kits and check the pressure and add a little refrigerant if needed.

mine does it....just like you said.
i thought it was normal even if a PIA to listen to. i guess i should check the refridge levels. i have never heard a vehicle do it before or since...just late model XJs. is there a cure for the cycling?

I have an 01 limited and have noticed that with the A/C turned on, the compressor cycles very often when at idle, however it cycles in a much more normal pace when driving. I've always suspected it was controlled somewhere on purpose to prevent the engine (which already runs warm) from heating up to much when sitting at idle (when there is less air circulation).

With the cycle time in mind the FSM says that if the compressor cycles more then 5 times in one minute then the system is more than likely low on freon. Jeeps use crappy evaps in the heaterbox, mine needs to be replaced and I know that it was a problem on the ZJ's for a two year period. I found my leak by loading the system down with the colored R134 and it finally dripped out of the drain on the firewall above the frame rail. The dash has to come out in order to replace it and thats a $600+ repair...

Back