• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radius Arm Lengthening

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
if i were to run radius arms and wanted to make them longer (to a custom cross member or mounts) what would be the best way to extend the arms? should i extend it with square tube and run a bushing like the LCA's or should i be running a original style mount like original w/ a threaded rod
would the LCA stlye mount result in a looser ride on the street?

LouisianaZJ said:
if i were to run radius arms and wanted to make them longer (to a custom cross member or mounts) what would be the best way to extend the arms? should i extend it with square tube and run a bushing like the LCA's or should i be running a original style mount like original w/ a threaded rod
would the LCA stlye mount result in a looser ride on the street?
On my first set I use rect. tube & machined a tube adapter to acept a 1" heim. The set I just built uses round DOM with a store bought tube adapter. Heims or Johnny Joints are really popular for joints. Here's an article which have some pics of my first arms. No pics of the new arms yet.

Matt

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/ebswap.html

Nice write up Matt. Where is that article currently, it used to be in the tech section. Are the radius arms similar in performance to long arms on the susp articulation they can offer? I got a hp 44 with leaf springs and was happy I don't have to deal with the cast wedges. How has this setup been holding up for you? Did you swap in alloy axles to get the big 297 u-joints and 31 spline 9"shafts? If so, what co did you go with for the alloys???
Troy

Big Red said:
Nice write up Matt. Where is that article currently, it used to be in the tech section. Are the radius arms similar in performance to long arms on the susp articulation they can offer? I got a hp 44 with leaf springs and was happy I don't have to deal with the cast wedges. How has this setup been holding up for you? Did you swap in alloy axles to get the big 297 u-joints and 31 spline 9"shafts? If so, what co did you go with for the alloys???
Troy
I'm not really sure where the article is located at currantly. I have the web address saved ... I like the way the suspension works. Yes they act in the same way "long arms" act without the trouble of blowing out control arm bushings like they do. The ford style "C" bushings allow for a great amount of twist & deflection without blowing apart. I'm running long travel shocks up front & use every bit of them from full stuff to full extension so articulation isn't an issue. The front end is built up with warn shafts & Longfeild joints. I broke my first warn shaft on Sledgehammer this last spring. Other than that the front end has been trouble free for several years. I built up the rear with 31 spline shafts from currie & besides the ring gear bolts coming loose on the same trip as my broken front shaft the rear end has also been trouble free.

Matt

Back