• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home gear install

jkkj

NAXJA Forum User
I have done a search, but have not found the answer to my questions.

I am thinking about doing a gear instal at home. I have a dana 30/ chrysler 8.25. Where can I get instructional information?

I have helped do a gear install on a 8.8 mustang. A buddy had someone come over that was supose to know what he was doing and have all the tools. He showed up empty handed and persisted that he had put several in with no special tools and that they had all been quiet and lasted. So reluctantly my buddy agreed to let him try. He put the gears in by just puting the ring gear on and then crushing the crush collar down with a breaker bar until there as no play in the pinion gear. When we took the car out for a test drive it was noisy, and he stated, "this is the first one I have ever seen do this, and I have set up six the same way". Then he left. I a last ditch effort to save the gearset we changed the spacers around. We figured going from a 273 to 355 the ringgear needed moved some. It made the setup almost quiet, and they have now been in fairly health mustang for 5 years and about 80,000 miles.

I have shims this time and understand what a grease pattern is, but still don't understand the correct way to tell when you have the pinion torqued in correctly with a crush collar. I understand to put the pinion gear in to a inche/pound torque setting to set the gears up, but how do you know when you have crushed the crush collar to spec?

Also, the install kit for the dana 30 did not come with a crush collar. So how do you set up and instal the front end?

jkkj said:
I have shims this time and understand what a grease pattern is, but still don't understand the correct way to tell when you have the pinion torqued in correctly with a crush collar. I understand to put the pinion gear in to a inche/pound torque setting to set the gears up, but how do you know when you have crushed the crush collar to spec?

Also, the install kit for the dana 30 did not come with a crush collar. So how do you set up and instal the front end?

I am also getting ready to change my 3.07's out for 3.55's. I have the 8.25 rear and a D30 front. All of the gears that I've ever setup besides toyota 3rd members were the shim type on the carrier. When I got the new gears and the install kit, I found that there was no carrier shims? Welp I've never had the cover off of my 8.25 to figure it out, so called Randy's ring & pinion they told me that the carrier doesn't use shims! It uses the threaded side adjuster deals like toyota and the ford 9 inch. That makes it alot easier to setup and adjust the carrier bearing preload and backlash, not having to deal with wedging the shims in! I'm no expert but I don't think there is a certain crush sleeve spec? It's made to expand and smash at a certain pressure. I usually take 3 full socket revolutions with a big impact after contact is made with the sleeve. Just don't go too far or it'll smash flat then you'll have way too much preload! As for the D30, I think it uses the shim type setup for the pinion bearing preload. You simply add shims if the preload is tight or remove shims if it's too sloppy, no crushing. Make sure and keep record of the shims that were in there to start with! Also make sure the backlash is within spec! Use a dial indicator! .006" to .010" for both. I have all the specs if you need them. Hope this helps!

FUNKYTEE5

Last edited:
Back