• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Modine radiator died on me today

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
The title says it all. One of the stupid thin metal strap that wraps vertically around the radiator broke loose for no apparent reason. My clutch fan caught it and did a number on my radiator. I didn't do anything to jar it or anything crazy, unfortunately all my Jeep has been used for lately is commuting back and forth to work and school. I pulled out of the parking garage I always park in at school to drive home just like normal and I heard a terrible clanking noise so I pulled into a parking lot to inspect it and I found the strap all bent up in the fan and my radiator all messed up. I'm guessing it was a bad weld/solder but I couldn't really tell. I'll know more once I get it all apart. Luckily I was able to limp it my 20 mile commute home but I kept on having to stop and add water to it. If it were summertime I probably wouldn't have made it.

Anyone else have any issues with Modine? All I've ever had is great luck with them and all I've ever heard is good things about them. Its only a year old so I hope they stand behind their warranty. I'm pretty sure it has a lifetime warranty, but I have to dig up the paperwork. It sucks though, the timing is terrible with the end of the semester and finals.

Even though Modine made the original brass OEM units for Chrysler, when I looked at the Modine replacement at NAPA, I didn't like the quality. It wasn't put together the same as my OEM radiator. Therefore, I went to Mopar and bought the HD cooling aluminum-plastic tank replacement.

Recently, I stopped at a local radiator shop to inquire about recoring my original unit ... the owner commented that they've had problems with replacement brass-tank Modines and other brands in general... and have gotten away from recoring. They pretty much only install new aluminum-plastic tank radiators now.

I realize this doesn't help with your dilemma, I'm not completely surprised problems have surfaced with brass-tank Modines, as they have with GDIs.

Atl XJ said:
Anyone else have any issues with Modine? All I've ever had is great luck with them and all I've ever heard is good things about them.

Be-Cool, and you'll be cool. little pricey, but I feel worth it. 3 vehicles (XJ, TJ, CJ) ..

IF the band just broke then I'd go to the store where you purchased the modine, show them, and ask for the "warranty" replacement so you can install it this weekend. A "lifetime" warranty is what is says for the lifetime of the radiator. I had a GDI in my 88 XJ for 4 years and it had a leak at the end cap. I have installed the modine and had NO problems. I would replace the modine with the "free" replacement instead of dropping all the money for an aluminum raditor.

It sounds like you have a chicken or egg question. Why did the fan catch that piece. I suspect you have a bad set of engine and transmission mounts. The engine moved forward and the fan hit the radiator.

Do you have the OEM style fan clutch or did you install an afternmarket fan clutch? I purchased an Imperial brand clutch for my 88 XJ and it was too tall for me to install without tilting the radiator forward. If you had one of those universal fan clutches plus bad mounts your radiator could be the victum.

Could you tell us how long/miles you have on the fan clutch and on the motor mounts.

My Jeep has 99K miles on it and I am going to check and make sure that the engine mounts are good before I possibly ruin another radiator. I did replace the fan clutch with a replacement from Carquest not too long ago, but it seemed to fit fine. I picked up a new Modine yesterday and they are going to credit my credit card when I bring the old one in.

Thanks for the responses :D

Well I replaced my radiator today. It went very smoothly and it was definitely a manufacturing defect. My dad is taking it back tomorrow to get my money back, I'd do it myself but I have exams this week. There are some pretty nice sized holes in it from the strap that broke, I'm honestly surprised I was able to drive it 20 miles like that. Thanks everyone for the advice. :D

Back