• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quarter panel protection...

atowley

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, anybody know of any company that makes rear quarter panel protection for an XJ?? Or any pics of what you did? Thanks.

I have some Custom 4x4 that I will sell ya. they are like new. pm me if your interested.

Performance Metal Works makes a very nice rear upper quarter panel plate. I found them a little hard to communicate with, but once my order was placed, I got the panels fairly quickly and they look to be very nicely built. I got door guards from them too. I haven't installed anything yet though. [email protected] is his email addy I believe and they do have a web site at http://www.performancemw.com. This is a side business though, so be aware that response to questions may not be instantaneous. :) Jeff

C-ROK Quarter Guards
C-RokRQG_021.jpg

C-ROK said:

On your site it says you can use this to tie your exocage into in the absence of your bumper. Any pics of this just out of curiosity?

Dirk Pitt said:
On your site it says you can use this to tie your exocage into in the absence of your bumper. Any pics of this just out of curiosity?
No, sorry. All of the cage installs to date have used our RD rear bumper.

I have C4x4 rear quarters installed. They held up well, been on for two years.
Over Thanksgiving our club went to tellico. Great trip. The side armour took several hits (especially on trail 2) It still looks great, but I actually bent the sheet metal it sits on top of.
Not sure anyone else's protection would have prevented bending the sheet metal under the side armour, they were some big rocks.

Derik

RufftyTuffty said:
I good value/function alternative would be the HDPE skids CHEROKEE CONCEPTS makes....i got them for my ZJ....but they also make them for XJ, TJ, etc....they work like a charm.

The only problem I see with this stuff is that it's UV unstable--it has to be painted or it'll turn black over time. I guess it doesn't matter much, but mine is white and I'd like to keep it that way. Other than that, it looks like a good idea. The cost is even cheaper if you order whole sheets online and cut them yourself.

RufftyTuffty said:
BEFORE =>

243201482.jpg

AFTER =>

243191793.jpg

~Mike
I like the Instant addition of the cage too - makes it look beefier. Before= huge mess Then i added these plastic thingy's and BAM tube fender flares as well!

found it funny...

Probably a silly question, but why not just get some steel diamond plate and weld it to the rear body panels? My local steel shops have diamond plate in 20 ga all the way up to ¼”. I’m not sure how thick (or heavy) you would want it to be, but 1/8” would be considerably stronger than the factory body panels. You could paint it what ever color your heart desires.

Well, that's the basic concept of these guards. The ones those guys have are premanufactured, but it doesn't mean you can't make your own. They aren't welded though, but you've got the right idea goin with making your own. Just make them out of 3/16" and you'll be set.

Wiley Coyote said:
Probably a silly question, but why not just get some steel diamond plate and weld it to the rear body panels? My local steel shops have diamond plate in 20 ga all the way up to ¼”. I’m not sure how thick (or heavy) you would want it to be, but 1/8” would be considerably stronger than the factory body panels. You could paint it what ever color your heart desires.

Well, if you notice the body at all.....it's got a healthy curve to it. Check out the performancemw guards.....see how they are rolled:

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

I think if you just welded some straight stuff on, it would push in the unibody pretty bad.

I only have experience with these though....so I don't know for sure:

IMG_4909.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

Back