• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to measure actual lift

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
never actually measured my actual lift but without any measuring looks around 5-5.5. I have to replace my rear springs soon since i am running 2 inch blocks aal and a shackle for only this much lift. So i am not to sure what i should buy in means of leaf springs until i know exactly where i am at in the front. What is the best way to measure the amount of lift i have in the front and back?

From wheel centre to the underside of the flare it is 17.5" front and 17" rear.

just find a stock xj and bring your tape and check a few points on it. that are not affected by tire size.

Will

Here is some inf. I copied from Here? some time ago. Jeff

There are three basic ways to measure lift independent of tire size. These are the "Hub to Flair" method, the "Rim to Flair" method, and the "Dirty", or "Frame", method.
"Hub to Flair Method" - Measure from hub center to fender flair, making sure to go straight up and down, not bowed around the tire. If you have center caps this is easy; if not, try a 3/8" rachet extension bar and read to the midpoint. Stock measurement is 17.5" in front, 17" in back.
"Rim to Flair Method" - Measure from top edge of the rim to fender flair, making sure to go straight up and down, not bowed around the tire. This method varies significantly due to differences in rim width, backspacking & tire size. Stock measurement is 9.5" in front, 9" in back.
"Dirty" or "Frame" method - Measure from the flat round bumpstop area inside at the bottom of the coil spring up to the top of the spring isolator, where it meets the bottom of spring tower. In back, measure from the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame rail, right above the bump stop. This is the only method that's valid if you've trimmed or relocated your fender flairs. Stock is 6.25" (6" with a D-44) in back, 11.25 in front.
Note that the flair has 1/2" more clearance in front than in back. Many people like to even the flairs up by lifting 1/2" higher in back. This also helps compensate for additional load weight, which in my experience tends to affect the back more than the front..
There is a lift specs page at www.lizards.net/albatross/liftspecs.htm, describing lift measurements & configurations for various XJs. If you send a summary of your configuration, along with the raw measurements, to [email protected], your specs will eventually get inserted in the table.

Back