• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 with 36's

90whitexj

NAXJA Forum User
Alright i have plans in the future to raise form 4.5 to 6.5 and run 36's. Ive got a 44 in the rear and a 30 in the front. Question is, will the 30 hold up if I put the shafts and joints from a new 30 in it. What is you guys expirience with this set up- It will be locked with a lockright or detroit also, and 4.88 gears.

If you take it offroad, I would give it a week.
Seriously, with anything less than alloy shafts and welded 760s that LockRight will eat axles like tater tots.
HTH.

bgcntry72 said:
Seriously, with anything less than alloy shafts and welded 760s that LockRight will eat axles like tater tots.
HTH.

yup

bgcntry72 said:
HTH.
why whould you weld 760 joints into alloy shafts when they have full circle snap rings.

i have a friend who runs them with ABS shafts in the 30. hes locked up with a lockright and only broke 1 shaft from what i remember

azxjman said:
why whould you weld 760 joints into alloy shafts when they have full circle snap rings.

Dammit!
Posting after a bottle of Shiraz and got called.
I think I meant CTMs, or something. :rolleyes:
Regardless, you get my gist.
WTF do 33 TSLs have to do with a thread about 36s on a D30?
Start your own thread, Jr.
HTH.

MY experience with 33" BFG/MTs and solid Spicer shafts/joints is that they will hold up to some abuse under less than good traction. That I haven't ever broken a shaft or joint is no indicator that they are ideal... Everyone takes their own chances, every time they grab 4-low.

Keep stock shafts and fresh U-joints out of a steering-angle bind and they will serve most folks well. Those that don't get serviced well...upgrade!

As for 36"? one of the pioneer 'BIG XJ' builders ran a 36" tired rig, 4.0/5sp rig many years on a 30 with real detroit, with stock shafts and joints. His secret? Don't drive like a #$%^ idiot.

I've only ran 33"... a world away from 36" in real trail use... but the fact remains - drive like an idiot and try to 'force' a D30 with big tires in through stuff it isn't built for, and you are rolling dice.

woody said:
MY experience with 33" BFG/MTs and solid Spicer shafts/joints is that they will hold up to some abuse under less than good traction. That I haven't ever broken a shaft or joint is no indicator that they are ideal... Everyone takes their own chances, every time they grab 4-low.

Keep stock shafts and fresh U-joints out of a steering-angle bind and they will serve most folks well. Those that don't get serviced well...upgrade!

As for 36"? one of the pioneer 'BIG XJ' builders ran a 36" tired rig, 4.0/5sp rig many years on a 30 with real detroit, with stock shafts and joints. His secret? Don't drive like a #$%^ idiot.

I've only ran 33"... a world away from 36" in real trail use... but the fact remains - drive like an idiot and try to 'force' a D30 with big tires in through stuff it isn't built for, and you are rolling dice.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

I have seen people break 297s on 31s, 33s, 35s, 37s

I have seen people NOT break 297s on 31s, 33s, and 35s, no one i know running 37s on a 30 has never broken a ujoint/shaft.

I have also seen balljoints go before ujoints and r&ps go before anything else.

Beauty is in teh eye of teh beholder. :laugh: :D

I run stock 297 non disco stock shafts in my dana 30 with 35" mtrs and a arb and 4.56 gears on 2 trips through the Con and 1 through Fordyce I haven't broken anything. I take it easy on things though too and use my arb when I need to, otherwise I leave the front open.
Troy

36's would live on a 30 if it was open. I had 37" SSR's on a tj 30 for over a year with moderate wheeling and it held up. I'm sure that if I locked it up I would have snapped sh!t left and right.

paul_xj04 said:
i have a friend who runs them with ABS shafts in the 30. hes locked up with a lockright and only broke 1 shaft from what i remember

You can do it, but to quote Chris Rock: "Chit, you could drive a car with your feet if you want[ed] to. That don't make it a good f--kin' idea...."

Last edited:
If you want 36, maybe comprimise and go with a lighter weight 35 mt. If you are dead set on swampers( and it sounds like you are) go with the 33s. I run 35s on a 30, and do break stuff. If you are some what carefull, a hp 30 will live untill you can get something a little stronger. My opinion.

90whitexj said:
Alright i have plans in the future to raise form 4.5 to 6.5 and run 36's. Ive got a 44 in the rear and a 30 in the front. Question is, will the 30 hold up if I put the shafts and joints from a new 30 in it. What is you guys expirience with this set up- It will be locked with a lockright or detroit also, and 4.88 gears.

Buddy runs the same set up but with stock gears he runs the abs shafts they are much larger. He drives like he has got a 60 in the front he hammers the fawk down on the rocks and doesnt brake them just weld the u joint caps in.

of course it will hold up. the question is for how long. I am running a stock disco axle with the tiny ujoints, with 34" LTB's. I know this thing will break eventually, but that is the excuse to upgrade it. I dont think I will be too hard on it, but we shall see....
like everything else, just run it till it breaks and then replace it.

With 36s I would not be as worried about the shafts as bending tubes, and breaking ball joints. Seen lots of 30s with a nice visable bend in them.

I say you'll be ok, but it all depends on what terrain your driving on. Rocks are alot more punishing. Peterson's has a good article in the Jan issue about axle strengths.

I know of a few guys around here running tires about that big...

XJ, HP30, ran 36 SXs for a while, now 38 TSLs. It's open... and wheeled pretty hard. I know he broke a few u joints with the 36s, but they were the 260s if I remember correctly.

ZJ, HP D30, Q78 TSL,4.6L stroker. Balls to the wall wheeling. Broke a 260 u joint on an ARBed LP30 with 33s, with the Qs and open HP30 no breakage I know of.

TJ, LP30 open, 36 TSLs... no breakage.

CJ7, Ox locked LP30, 36TSLs and chains... broke U joint.

Thanks for the information all of you. Im still trying to decide between 35 or 36's but i got a while. Just trying to get a head start. If I run 36's it will most likely be a swamper but if i can find a 10.50 MT i may look at that to, as it would be alot lighter.

It all about wheel speed :D I wheel a good mix of rocks and mud and tree roots etc. I have 36'' swapers on a 30 right now if you can keep the wheels spinning fast it helps. Its that sudden bit of traction that messes everything up. Seriously yes you can do it, your gonna break shafts and ball joints, alot if you like the skinny pedal. With that said I do have 60s in the garage waiting to go in.

Back