• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear yoke torq on an 8.25

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
searched but got mixed o - pinions haha get it pinions...haha :wierd: any advice. i got a new one coming probably tomarrow with my woods shaft. and i dont want o screw up another rear....dont ask...
thanks guys

keith

With the crush sleeve in there, you should torque it down until your pinion preload falls within specs. Something like 10 inch/lbs if I'm remembering correctly.

If you want to be a good Joe, you could check to see if your 8.25 yoke fits on the output shaft of the T. case. Someone was wondering in another thread if the 8.25 pinion yoke could be used as part of a cheap SYE since they both supposedly have a 27 spline count. Just a thought.

To set the pinion pre-load,nothing else is installed in the housing(just the pinion)!I have a "yoke wrench" I made to hold the pinion!

i guess i just didnt tighten it enough but i drove a far distance after i put my sye and shaft and new rear yoke in and about 200miles down the road there was fluid coming out at the yoke. . and i got home the bearings were just about toast... so new rear end.. i dont want another one !

You also have to install a new crush sleeve every time(to be sure)!

Israel said:
If you want to be a good Joe, you could check to see if your 8.25 yoke fits on the output shaft of the T. case.

Yes!! It would be great if someone would test it out!

i jsut replaced mine again yesterday (blew the rear u-joint) to tighten it back down, i just gooped it up w/ locktite then tightened it with a torgue wrench by ahnd till it wastight, but not torqueing the **** out of it. i did it the same way in july and ahd no problems. tahts the way the local d-shaft place said to do it, and worked for me. good luck

when i replaced my yoke all i did was zip it on at 150 ft/lbs that was like a year ago and no problems

The steel "crush sleeve" is about 1 1/2" and goes between the inner and outer bearing!

massxj said:
when i replaced my yoke all i did was zip it on at 150 ft/lbs that was like a year ago and no problems
Check it again...... mine went south 2 years after replacing the yoke improperly.

basically the crush sleeve provides the proper turning torque for the pinion gear. if you remove the pinion nut you are supposed to replace the crush sleeve. when I was in school we used about a 6 foot breaker bar to get the sleeve to crush. it takes about 500 ft lbs. The flat rate method involves a 1/2 impact gun. We just tighten it down until the turning torque is correct. This saves a lot of time.
Honestly though, if you are just replacing the yoke don't worry about replacing the crush sleeve. just tighten the pinion nut to about 70 ft lbs, there still should be some cushon left in your existing sleeve.

Back