• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you think

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i have played with this question before but i need to decide if its okay. 35's on dana 35 and 30 axles. Have a lot of room inbetween fenders and 33's with only 5 inch lift with a lot of trimming so i am getting the urge for 35's. I have 4.56 gears in both axles as well. NO problems with them ever. THis isnt a heavily wheeled rig at all. I have no time and wheel around once a month or less and almost always nothing to extreme. With that said and a rig that is more of a street vechicle rather than trail rig. Would this setup be okay? What can i expect to break if i ran this setup on the street? I dont have a heavy pedal becasue my jeep is already slow, only accelerate hard when i have to.
Does anyone run this setup on there street rig and how does it hold up.
Down the road i will look into beefier axles but right now its not a project i want to be involved in.

dellstopjeep said:
i have played with this question before but i need to decide if its okay. 35's on dana 35 and 30 axles. Have a lot of room inbetween fenders and 33's with only 5 inch lift with a lot of trimming so i am getting the urge for 35's. I have 4.56 gears in both axles as well. NO problems with them ever. THis isnt a heavily wheeled rig at all. I have no time and wheel around once a month or less and almost always nothing to extreme. With that said and a rig that is more of a street vechicle rather than trail rig. Would this setup be okay? What can i expect to break if i ran this setup on the street? I dont have a heavy pedal becasue my jeep is already slow, only accelerate hard when i have to.
Does anyone run this setup on there street rig and how does it hold up.
Down the road i will look into beefier axles but right now its not a project i want to be involved in.

lockers? do ya have em? if so, i'd say defin. not. but if ur just on street 90% of the time, then i'd be ok... you'd probably be ok somewhat offroad, w/o a locker of traction device. the D35 rear is weak!

brandon

shimmy said:
lockers? do ya have em? if so, i'd say defin. not. but if ur just on street 90% of the time, then i'd be ok... you'd probably be ok somewhat offroad, w/o a locker of traction device. the D35 rear is weak!

brandon

I'll second that, as long as you don't have lockers you should be ok. As far as whats gonna break, most likely axleshafts and u joints (in the front). Have you thought about upgrading your steering.....just a thought.

i understand 4.56's arent the best but i am actually a little over geared if that makes sense with my 33's right now.

i figured i would go pick up some spare u joints and axle shafts for the trail in case.

also what is a semi cheap steering upgrade i can do? Could i just buy a steering box brace for more strength. steering seems to be just fine with 33's right now.

no locker or else i wouldnt even be considering it!

thanks again for advice

I would be more worried about the POS D35 out back than I would the front D30. I think 33's are pushing it with a D35, and the lowered gearing puts even more strain on it. Don't push your luck, even if it is only on the street.

i understand 4.56's arent the best but i am actually a little over geared if that makes sense with my 33's right now.

4.56 gears on 35's should be the least of your worries when you still rock the 30/35.

Personally, I am sticking to 34's for my next set of tires becuase i dont think my 30/44 combo can handle anything larger, but that is with a Detroit/Spool so stress would be a bit higher

dellstopjeep said:

i figured i would go pick up some spare u joints and axle shafts for the trail in case.

also what is a semi cheap steering upgrade i can do? Could i just buy a steering box brace for more strength. steering seems to be just fine with 33's right now.

no locker or else i wouldnt even be considering it!

thanks again for advice

crok frame brace, you should be running one with 33's to be on the safe side... thats the least you could do with 35's

Since you're asking, and I assume looking for real info, not just someone to tell you it's OK, I'll tell you that it's a bad idea. If this is just a street rig, it doesn't matter much....other than the terrible brakes. If you're going to wheel it at all you will be at risk of breaking. Breakage situations usually reach out and grab you when you're not expecting them, so just because you only wheel occasionally doesn't mean you're at less risk, it just means that you are at risk on those occasions.

Sure, if you successfully babied it constantly, you might be OK, but the odds are against it. I've seen plenty of broken axle joints with 31, 32, and 33" tires. I've also seen plenty of broken D35's with 31, 32, and 33" tires.

But, if fixing your rig on the side of some muddy hill is OK, and part of the anticipated occasional wheeling experience (and fine with your wheeling buddies), then don't worry about very common and proven wisdom about tire size and axle strength, carry spares, and just get the bigger tires.

:) :)

Im running 4.56s, arb front and rear lockers, 35s and rear disc brakes.
Been running this setup for 5 months so far with no problems at all.
I do a fair bit of wheelin off road and try not to use the front locker too much, but still have to engage the rear on alot of the big stuff.
I ran the same with 33s for 8 months and wheeled extremely hard with only 1 front axle uni going.

Id say, do it.If it breaks, strengthen it, of get a new diff.

I am fairly light on the pedal and dont hoon around like some of my mates.

Back