• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Understanding 4wd with LSD

KiwiXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm going to try and put this in clear simple English as I don't have a science degree!

When in part time 4wd or low 4wd I believe that the wheels are effectively locked and equal power will go to each wheel. Correct?

An LSD will apportion power to keep both wheels trying to achieve traction (a loose translation of what an LSD does?)

So what does the LSD do on a Cherokee in 4wd low? Do you end up with power at both front wheels and an equal amount being shared across the two back ones based upon the LSD clutches?

I have a NP242 with Trac-loc and really just want to understand the dynamics of it. Thanks in advance

Part time 4WD locks the front & rear driveshafts together, but the left & right wheels on each axle still differentiate between each other. Adding a LSD reduces the amount of differentiation, a locker eliminates it under power, and a spool completely eliminates it.

In full time 4wd, the transfer case acts like an open differential between the front & rear driveshafts.

Thanks, what a great, easy to understand explanation. It all makes sense now and I now know what people are talking about when they go on about adding lockers as I couldn't see why they needed them. Cheers.

KiwiXJ said:
When in part time 4wd or low 4wd I believe that the wheels are effectively locked and equal power will go to each wheel. Correct?

Not really: The AXLES are effectively locked and equal power will go to each axle.

Then the diff will apply to the 2 wheels in that axle.

Back