• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another TC request

MuddyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have installed the JB SYE with TW drive shaft and still have vibes at 45+ mph. I have been checking the drive line angles and tried every possible angle. I am thinking I messed something up inside the transfer case, since the linkage won't go back on.

My request is..........does anyone have or know where I can get a GOOD illustration of the inside of the 231 transfer case so I know what goes what way.

PS I bought a used SYE without instructions.

You said the linkage won't go back on. Are you trying to hook it up while it is in 4WD? I did the same thing when I installed my SYE. I removed the slotted linkage that attaches to the transfer case. When I put the SYE in, apparently I shifted it into 4WD. When I hooked the linkage up, it ended up backwards and wouldn't shift. I don't specifically remember which way to put it on, but it just took be a couple of minutes of playing with it to get it back on right.

I could be completely off, but if you have the vacuum disconnect front axle and it was stuck in 4WD, that would cause the front driveshaft to turn. If the driveshaft angles are off on the front driveshaft, that could then cause a vibration too.

Hope that helps.

Did you, by any chance, get a 4 Wheel Parts catalog for Cherokees/Liberty's? It had a 231 breakdown picture in it.

That is probably the best diagram so far but it's not answering my questions. Really wish I could find a real picture of the inerds of the TC. Very detailed would be the best. All the right ups I have seen don't show what I am looking for and nobody seems to be able to help. Seems that $20 I saved on the discount from Tom Woods isn't making up for all the dues I have paid here.

Back