• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye install

smallxj

NAXJA Forum User
well i think i am gonna go with a advanced adapters sye. I was wondering how difficult it is to install. Will i need to remove the case? Or is it better to just take it somewhere and have it done?

Its easy, do you know anyone who has installed one, and would help you. I watched one installed, and then undertook my own. It was easy for me, but I got to see how the other guy did it first. I dont think you need to pull the t-case. Its just abit hard on the back to be under the jeep there for a while.

its been a while, but it did not take me too long. You said you had the AA kit right. It only involves a few snap rings, and a few bolts. Be careful when taking the t-case in half there is a magnet in there that might like to jump out. also there is a pickup tube on the pump which you have to play with in order to get it back in place when re-assembling the case, or else the thing will run dry, and burn up. It was easy for me, but like I said I knew what I was getting into when I did it, and saw someone else do it a few weeks before hand. I wish i could give more advice, but it was a few years ago.

RD93Chry8.25 said:
Its just abit hard on the back to be under the jeep there for a while.
This is the truth, but thanks to my lovely wife she solved this problem for me.............bean bag chair!!!!! It will cushion your back and support your back and neck so neither are sore for days. It proved invaluable.
The only other advice is to get the best and most expensive pair of snap ring pliers money can buy.
Timbo

According to a friend of mine who installed an AA SYE in his '90 YJ, it is relativly easy if you have the right tools. He said he removed it from the Jeep and went to the local Auto Hobby shop with a buddy to do it.

its not that hard at all. i bought the same sye. before i installed it i had never done one before. use a creeper to lay on. no need to take the tcase out. just split the case and leave the front half attached to your transmission. the snap rings were the most difficult part. there are two of them on both sides of the speedo gear that goes around the output shaft. it took me a little over two hours for the whole install. the directions were pretty good. you will need a 10 mm 12 point socket for the top bolt when you split the case. a pnumatic impact wrench will also help to remove front yoke.

Last edited:
I have done several of these. 2 hours is all it should take. I also agree that you need a good set of lock ring pliers. not the kind for snap rings with the two eyelets but the ones that are like inside out flat nose pliers, about $15 at your local NAPA.

Yep.....

this kind:

FlatSnapRingPliers.jpg

NOT the kind with removeable nibs.

if you have a set like that light them on fire and throw them in the alley

smallxj said:
well i think i am gonna go with a advanced adapters sye. I was wondering how difficult it is to install. Will i need to remove the case? Or is it better to just take it somewhere and have it done?

Well, I'm sitting here looking at my new advanced adapters sye and TW drive shaft sitting on my living room floor. I also wondering basiclly the same question. I was convinced that I could do it even after reading the directions and the write up at www.jeepin.com (although the write-up is for the JB). I just need to keep thinking " I can do it". Snap ring pliers do seem to be the key. Everything I've read says so.

Here's two questions I've not had answered: What about the Mopar tranny skid; will it be in the way or can I leave it on? Second, in the directions it talks about trimming the shifter rod if it protrudes from the case more than 1" when the selector is in 4Lo. Has anyone had to do this on a '99?

Thanks!

Yup,
Just take a die grinder and lope off 1/4". pretty straight forward.
give me a call if you get stuck and I can talk you through it.
760-505-9924 7am-9pm pacific.
XJFang said:
Well, I'm sitting here looking at my new advanced adapters sye and TW drive shaft sitting on my living room floor. I also wondering basiclly the same question. I was convinced that I could do it even after reading the directions and the write up at www.jeepin.com (although the write-up is for the JB). I just need to keep thinking " I can do it". Snap ring pliers do seem to be the key. Everything I've read says so.

Here's two questions I've not had answered: What about the Mopar tranny skid; will it be in the way or can I leave it on? Second, in the directions it talks about trimming the shifter rod if it protrudes from the case more than 1" when the selector is in 4Lo. Has anyone had to do this on a '99?

Thanks!

Rawbrown said:
Yup,
Just take a die grinder and lope off 1/4". pretty straight forward.
give me a call if you get stuck and I can talk you through it.
760-505-9924 7am-9pm pacific.

Closest thing to a die-grinder I have is a Dremel. Will that work the same? Thanks for the phone number for your help line. :)

Timbo, tell your wife she's a genius!!! beanbag is a great idea, heck you might be able to drop the t-case on the beanbag and not break something. ( if you had to) Rawbrown, you are nice to give free advice if needed,kudo's to you.

While you all are still thinking about the other questions...

What is a "quality assembly lubricant" as described in step 2 of the assembly part of the directions? Its gets smeared on to the new shaft where the drive sprocket slides on.

I skip that part because there is usually enough oil dripping to aid in assy.

i recently did one myself on my 01. that shifter pin your talking about that may need to be trimmed .i think mine does because i no longer have 4lo...is it that metal pin that if your looking at the back of the case there is little part sticking out. that looks like a bolt head. is that were the pin comes through? thanks

this summer i installed the aa sye kit all by my lonesome. before this the most complicated thing i had done to the jeep by myself (had experienced jeepers help with the lift) was oil changes and the like. i took my time, did pleanty of research on here and other boards, read every writeup i could find, and went over the awesome instructions that the kit came with. before i started, i made sure that i had all the tools ( i needed snap ring AND lockring pliers for mine :dunno: ) and fluids that i would need because this is my only mode of transportation.

i took my time, followed the directions to a T and got it done. the only real problem i had was that when i backed into the parking spot, i left my ebreak on and it locked up my rear tires. the first test drive i took, the rear didn't want to spin and after a few paniced moments, i figured it out and all was good. so that wasn't even a problem with the install.

and to top it all off, i did it in my apt complex parking lot.
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/sfitchet/pics/jeep/sye_install/sye_install_01.jpg
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/sfitchet/pics/jeep/sye_install/sye_install_02.jpg
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/sfitchet/pics/jeep/sye_install/sye_install_03.jpg

Silverstreak:

Yep that sounds like the pin I'm talking about. Based on what I've read now, that I'll need to trim it. It sounds like you'll need to go back and take a look at it. The instructions say to have the t-case in 4-lo and measure it. If it's protruding more than an inch, trim it to that lengh.

Fitch:

Yeah I saw your postings about working in the parking lot. I'm in the same boat generally, but one of the people I've meet here on NAXJA is allowing me to come over to his shop tomorrow morning to do this all. I too might be doing this by myself. Beezil's pic of the ring pliers also helped as I got the wrong pliers. Back to Sears tonight...

Thanks for the advice and for the help-line guys :phone:

Back