• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do the alloy axle manu compare (Superior, Warn, Yukon, Dutchman, Moser, etc)?

How do the alloy axle manu compare (Superior, Warn, Yukon, Dutchman, Moser, etc)?

• Total voters

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
How do the alloy axle manu compare (Superior, Warn, Yukon, Dutchman, Moser, etc)? I know Superiors are the most expensive and probably said to be the best, but how do the others compare as far as price and quality of product? Are they all a decent upgrade over the stock axle shaft? Please post your comments on them and if you broke them, what size tire were you running? Did you break a u-joint and then the shaft or just the shaft etc. I know Superiors are probably the best, but they are really expensive, so how do the others rate? Please post what u-joints you are running/have run with the alloy you chose. (297 Spicer, 760 Spicer, Longfield, OX Trax, CTMs).
Troy

Last edited:
BrettM said:
with the 37s you're considering, I would run the Yukon shafts and Longfield joints as a good budget solution. if you think you might grow a heavy foot, get the Superior and CTM.

That's what I was thinking. How much do those run you think under $500 for the axles and u-joints? They do have a good warranty I think so who cares if they are made in good ole India right?
Troy

When i order my next set of shafts, they will be Yukons loaded with longfields. Warn and Superior are reputedly stronger, but warn doesnt make a stub shaft for the unit bearing hubs, and Superiors are a little to rich for my blood. They are all made from 4340 cromo steel so the difference is only in the processing

Alloy USA is making shafts identical to the superior evo's for the D30's with outers. And as an upgrade for the stubs, thay have 30 spline outers with re-broached unit hubs.

Dan

Double post sorry

Last edited:
nate said:
Longfields? I thought those were beefy replacements for Toyota Berfields?

I think those are called Profields or something. But Longfields replace the Spicer u-joints. I think I leaning towards the Yukons and Longfields if I can get a good warranty on them. I plan to run 37"mtrs on 8"beadlock rims on my hp 44/ford 9". If I don't get the alloys then I'll stick with my 35"pro comp XTs. Someone said that Yukons and Dutchman were made by the same company both in India. Can anyone verify this, I'm not sure if I heard it here or on Pirate.
Troy

nate said:
Longfields? I thought those were beefy replacements for Toyota Berfields?
Longfield also make Spicer 760 joints that are cryo treated, with bronze bushings instead of needle bearings. They seem to be pretty strong and reliable.

Dan

Dan Turner said:
Longfield also make Spicer 760 joints that are cryo treated, with bronze bushings instead of needle bearings. They seem to be pretty strong and reliable.

Dan

Would you run those 760's in alloy axles? Does it void the warranty if you don't run really premium u-joints like Longfields, OX, or CTMs?

Dutchman shafts are made in the good ol US of A. Portland Oregon. Their regular shafts are made from spicer blanks, but they use imported alloys for their chromoly stuff.

Dan

Big Red said:
Would you run those 760's in alloy axles? Does it void the warranty if you don't run really premium u-joints like Longfields, OX, or CTMs?
I doubt it would, but who knows? The Alloy USA shafts come assembled with regular 760s and a 5 year warranty.

Dan

Dan Turner said:
I doubt it would, but who knows? The Alloy USA shafts come assembled with regular 760s and a 5 year warranty.

Dan

I never heard of them. Do all the alloy axle companies use 4340 material just different process with Superior being the best? Do you know how much the Alloy USA shafts run with the 760 u-joints? Do you have a link to their website? Have you run them? If so, what tire, gearing, locker, and what axle?
Troy

Big Red said:
I never heard of them. Do all the alloy axle companies use 4340 material just different process with Superior being the best? Do you know how much the Alloy USA shafts run with the 760 u-joints? Do you have a link to their website? Have you run them? If so, what tire, gearing, locker, and what axle?
Troy
I'm working on seting up an account with them right now. The axle assemblies, I think, are going to be around $650 a pair (both sides)

I haven't personally run them I have friends who have used the superiors with good luck so far.

The Warn axles are through hardend, which makes a very strong shaft, but it's so rigid it really shock loads the u-joints, which will tear them up. The Alloy USA and superior shafts have more ductility which will soak up some shock, but are still very strong.

Dan

rear axle is NASCAR style 9" free floater with Currie HP with Dutchman made alloy axles
front axle is D44 HP with Moser outer axles, Ox Trax ujoints and Dutchman import alloy inner axles.
All on 36"IROK Superswampers
Didn't break anything in Moab...yet!

after we concur on th best suited shafts and joints (price/quality)... we should set up a group buy!

brandon

shimmy said:
after we concur on th best suited shafts and joints (price/quality)... we should set up a group buy!

brandon

Sounds good. If enough of get in on it, we can really drive the price down, I hope. So far the Superior alloys with CTMs are the best quality/highest prices. I however, am looking closely at the Yukons with Longfields. The Dutchman shafts I think are right around $400 for the pair for my hp 44 f-150 and/or the full width ford 9" according to their website prices.

About 3/4 of the way down the page on the link below for the front axles, it says that the imports are made in India and the domestic shafts are made in the US (Superior). Do you think it means they are superior, which I think they are over the imports, or do you think they use Superior blanks and finish machining them in house at Dutchman? Anyone know off hand, who has talked in depth with Dutchman, Superior, Warn, other about their processes. I know they probably all say they are the best, but so far Superior seems to be the best based on what accounts I have heard and the write up on them on Pirate and comparing them to the other "rebox" manufacturers who get their axles from Indian or Asia and then rebox them in the USA and stamp their name on the product/box.

http://www.dutchmanms.com/pricesheet.html

Troy

Last edited:
Spend the most money and buy the best parts.

I hate trail repairs.

:D

Goatman said:
Spend the most money and buy the best parts.

I hate trail repairs.

:D

I hate trail reports too, but sometimes you can get a very good product at a great price (Yukons & Longfield u-joints ???) instead of a great product at a huge price (Superiors & CTMs).

Back