• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does Your XJ Sag?

mullet427

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ with a 4.5 RE superflex w/ add-a-leaf. The Passenger side sags pretty noticably and I was wondering if this was commmon. Why does this happen and is there any cheap way to fix it?

it is because you only went with an add a leaf. AAL can only help the stock springs so much and for so long. the springs on that side soud to me like they are shot

My passenger side rear spring noticably sags as well - even with more weight on the driver's side (spare tire + sub).

I think this may be due to engine torque putting more stress on that side when accelerating. I think I fragged my spring climbing sand dunes in Moab at full throttle. But I don't really have any way to back either of these claims up - I'm just yapping... to answer your question though, mine sags about 1 inch lower on the rear passenger side. I have 2" OME lift springs. 2 years old. Front coils and rear driver's side leafs haven't sagged a bit.

The pasenger side sags' before the driver becasue the way torque spins that way. (bad way to word it I know, but coulnd't think of a better.)

mullet427 said:
I have a 99 XJ with a 4.5 RE superflex w/ add-a-leaf. The Passenger side sags pretty noticably and I was wondering if this was commmon. Why does this happen and is there any cheap way to fix it?
A spring shop should be able to rearch your entire leaf pack. This can be cheap or costly depending on where you live. Other even cheaper options involve building yourself a junkyard leaf pack to get back the lift you want, although they can also be expensive. They aren't hard to build though, if I can build one, you can build one. :D Here's a search for leaf packs.
B.

fluidmotion said:
it is because you only went with an add a leaf. AAL can only help the stock springs so much and for so long. the springs on that side soud to me like they are shot

All XJ's have a tendancy to sag to the pass. It is due to the torgue.

You can stick in an extra spacer on the front pass coil to help level it out also. Worked perfectly for me. I have a 1" RE spacer F/S if you want it.

Back