• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raymart, Warn, Milemarker winches... need opinions on quality

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
i know that warn is top of the line and they're supposed to be the best, but i havent heard much about raymart and milemarker winches. They're considerably cheaper on ebay than warn. the raymart 8K is only 300 but its permanent magnet motor, so i would probably go w/ the 10K series wound winch. i just wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with these. i also saw a 9500 pound winch(didnt say brand, but probably chicago) with series wound for pretty cheap. what it'll be pulling out is a 99 cherokee moderately built w/ 33's, not a 3/4 ton truck or anything. so if u have an opinion on the subject, please post.

I used to have a Raymart 8 or 9000 lb winch, it looked exactly like my old Ramsey winch. The Raymart did the job although it was a slow winch. I sold it a while back and bought a warn locally. If shipping wasn't so high I would have bought another Raymart, for the money it was well worth it.

i havent really heard anything bad out raymart, the only thing i dont like is the motor in the 8k's. I would probably go for a 10k, but the price jump is pretty significant

I had the 8000lb on my 92 XJ, would pull me with ease. I've pulled YJ's and Toyota's with it and haven't had any problems, it was just a slow winch. My warn is faster and a little nicer finished, but other than that for how I used it the Raymart was fine.
I think one of the 4X4 mags did a review on off brand winches last month, I don't recall which one though.

got a 9k mm and it is great. pulls strong and works without any problems and i have used it plenty. just dont expect to win any time trials with it

Going by experiance in the midwest mud, there is only 1 electric winch I would recommend, Warn at least 8K.

I would only reccomend the MM in hydro.

HTH, YMMV

Rev

I have the 8000 Mile Marker Elect. I have had no problems. It's slow, but it keeps working strong and doesn't draw as much amps as a Warn.

At work we have put on 3 Warn winches on 3 vehicles in the last 6 months.(Park Patrol trucks). Two of the three have had problems and one has been back to Warn and still not fixed. They are the 9.5K high speed. Our other trucks have Mile Marker 9k and we have had no problems out of them in the last 6 years. Mile Marker are slow but a good value.
Steve

I agree with Hammertoe. I just put a Superwinch on my XJ, and also like it quite a bit - seems like great quality at a good price.

Harbor Freight has a few winches that some guys in Erie PA are running. I think people were saying that they were just like Ramsey's (?) maybe.

8000 - 299.00, but sometimes cheaper. The erie guys did a group buy and got them remarkably cheap, cant remember how low though.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40764

9000 - 399.00
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3633

They both come with the universal mount, and 'jeep' mounts are available. They also have a roller failead for the 8k.

i know the series wound motor is supposed to be better and more durable than permanent magnent motors. does anyone know why and how they work

Back