• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Official: home built skids thread

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
after tons of searching and finding about 2 pictures of homebuilt skids, i think this thread is apropriate. everyone post any pictures, measurements, CAD drawlings, or anything else that could be helpful in someone building there own skids. or even some measurements off differnt companys skids for reference. list any problems you've had with any skids either home built or bought and how you fixed it.

i will now shutup and let the higher powers take control.

kolby

Gas Tank Skid

is.php

is.php

TC skid is XJnation

is.php

Rails are 2X4 tube.

is.php

that gas tank skid is NICE, ive started my oilpan/tranny skid so ill have some pics of it before long. how did u keep the metal on that from wanting to warp? just alot of short beads and let it cool slow?

i know more people have built there own skids

kolby

lankchevy said:
that gas tank skid is NICE, ive started my oilpan/tranny skid so ill have some pics of it before long. how did u keep the metal on that from wanting to warp? just alot of short beads and let it cool slow?

i know more people have built there own skids

kolby
Tack it all together in many spots throughout the lengths before you begin the long beads.
VegasAnthony said:
is 1/8" thickness good for a gas tank skid????
1/8" would be okay. I didn't want any more weight hanging off the back end, so I went with 3/16" which is plenty strong.
Ludakris said:
I like that pic of the rock rails... nice straight rails.. and a demolished door...
Yeah, the the front doors look funny when they're on too. The rails are 1/8" wall and have held up well.

I don't have any pics and haven't installed it yet, but I built a gas tank skid a while back out of some free 3/16 steel diamond plate. It's going to bolt onto the two rear bolts of my hidden hitch and im bolting some mounting brackets to the frame rails just in front of the tank on both sides. It wraps from in front of the tank, about 2 inches up, to behind the bar of the hitch. It's definitely solid and I'll post pics once I can get them.

Now I'm just thinking I should have waited and gotten some smooth stock instead. I'm worried that the diamond plate, while looking bad-a** will have too much drag. Any thoughts would be good for me and anyone looking to build their own soon! Terry's is smooth and also gets rid of drainage issues by having it open on the front. Since mine has the lip on the front, I left the bottoms of the sides open.

To weld mine I tacked every three inches or so, then came back through once the whole skid was tacked and filled in between the tacks, working from one side of the skid to the other so that one side wouldn't overheat and they would have time to cool before I bot back to where I had just welded. It worked well for me.

Back