• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual shifter loose?

5.0 Junkie

NAXJA Forum User
Couldn't find much on the manuals. My shifter is loose when in gear. In 4th you can move the shifter around in a 2-3" diameter circle. Any way to tighten it up? I'm pretty sure the shifter just has a ball on the end that goes in a cup. Replacement bushing? I think Hurst has an aftermarket one too, but everyone I called hasn't seen one yet.

A few have put the B&M or Hurst ones in. Did you check the 4 mounting bolts on the shifter itself ?? They could be loose, they are under the boot...

I believe the lower end of the shifter has a plastic or nylon "foot" and that may have worn out or cracked. Pull it out for inspection. Hurst does have a very nice shifter for the AX-15, but it's pricey. If a nylon bushing will do the job, why spend hundreds of dollars? Unless you use your XJ for drag racing you don't "need" a Hurst.

What year XJ? Do you have an AX-15?

It's an 89. I think AX-15, but haven't confirmed. Been too busy fixing stuff. Intermittent no crank popped up today.

I have a new boot. May pull it out and see what is up in there.

Back