• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny on the way out?

Cherokee91Red

NAXJA Forum User
A week and a half ago I cut one of the lines for the tranny cooler. My dad went out and bought some fluid so we put it in. Only 2 quarts. I found out as it was going in that it was ATF3+. This weekend I was on the trail and it started slipping. I went and got some Dexron3 and drained what I could from the tranny and refilled it. It is still slipping when going uphill steep. Like it will slip out of gear, the engine revs up without any resistance then it drops back into gear. Very fun time climbing Kodiak Rock like that :banghead:It has plenty of fluid, mostly mercon/dexron3, and it does fine on level ground or slight inclines. It only gave me problems on extreme angles. Is it time to shop around for a new one or can I save it with another fluid change?

Four cylinder or Six cylinder? The six uses a AW4 transmission and needs Dexron. The 4 cyliner uses a Chrysler transmission and uses the chrysler fluid. I would change it again and make absolutly sure you have the correct level. The stick on my 96 xj with aw4 has two markings one on each side. HOT and COLD. After reading somewhere I found out HOT means something like being driven for half an hour before checking and cold should not need any explanation..

JoBo

Mine was slipping when I bought it, changed the ATF out and put in Dexron and it got better. A few weeks later, changed it again and it got better still. Torque converter holds just about the same amount of oil as the tranny pan. No real way to drain the troque converter, that I know of. My solution is to wait for a sale, buy by the case and change it often.
Usually when the clutches start slipping in the tranny from wear, it´s in a specific gear, like low. When they all slip some, it´s often the wrong fluid.
Making sure the TV cable is properly adjusted also helps.

Back