• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper Linkage Bushings

AndrewXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I read up and decided to change my wiper transmission bushings. I got them all out and I am at the point that I need to put it back together. I have the new bushings and I see all 3 balls they go onto. The only problem is how do I get them to snap back into the metal arms and onto the balls? TIA.

I use my battery clamp puller to press themout and the new ones in. 'Works GREAT! Others here use other means. I think you can even tap them in with a hard rubber or plastic hammer. Don

AndrewXJ said:
I can't seem to get the white bushings on the actual metal arms. I got them onto the balls but I cant get them on the arms. :( WTF.

Take them off the balls. I think they need to flex a little, to get into the arms. Get a socket that is a little larger than the hole the bushing fits into. Place it on a flat and sturdy surface. Position the hole in the linkage arm over the socket and tap the bushing in with a hammer. I would place a flat piece of wood between the hammer and the bushing. Make sure you are pounding it in straight. The socket will allow the bushing to seat, while supporting the surrounding metal. This worked in seconds when I did it this past summer.

AndrewXJ said:
I can't seem to get the white bushings on the actual metal arms. I got them onto the balls but I cant get them on the arms. :( WTF.
Try the reverse. I used a ball pein hammer and a socket to tap the new bushings into the arms, them squirted in a bit of white lithium grese and tapped the balls into the sockets.

Eagle said:
Try the reverse. I used a ball pein hammer and a socket to tap the new bushings into the arms, them squirted in a bit of white lithium grese and tapped the balls into the sockets.

Big point here............

Don't forget to add a little white lithium. I have found that with the grease in the bushing that you end up with silent wipers, I can't heat mine unless I shut off the engine.

Additionally, make sure you re-assemble the tranmission arms in "exactly" the same orientation as they came off. If any arm is re-assembled incorrectly, the assembly will either not remount to the cowl and/or the wipers will not be orientated properly.

Good luck,
Kent

Back