• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

posi-lok Q's

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
I need to do this upgrade...

for those of you who have made your own. how is it holding up? what cable did you use? would you change anything about the design?

Thanks

well, from the lack of interest in this mod. Ill start posting what ive found. My main goal is to have it cost much less than the $130 posi-loc and be somewhat integrated into the dash...no exposed lever mechanisms/cables in the jeep.

after shearching for different push/pull cables for an evening i found a couple of options:

many companies will custom make you a cable system with actuator lever/knob and fittings. This may cost a lot, and may be impossible due to them not wanting to make just 1. another option is to order the assy already pieced together and simply make the connection to the shifter fork another way. I like the idea of a threaded section that could be crimped on the cable and bolted through the fork.

Mcmaster has some push/pull cable systems with lock-out that i think would work...look good...cost mutch less. all you would need are the fittings to connect it to the fork and housing.

www.mcmaster.com catalog page 1059. P# 6161K11 There are other "stronger" cables too. I think 100lb dynamic load should be adequate.

Ill keep this post updated as this project unfolds

peace

I personally was going to do this swap, but I ended up putting a one piece axle shaft in instead. The reason why I did this was a guy in the club running a similar home made posi-loc system was having problems with it breaking, and it left him stuck. So instead I just did the axle swap, and so far I have been happy with it.

Patrick

I have a posi lock...i was very impressed with the quality and fit of the parts..yup, it's kinda pricey...but it has never let me down...I was going to rig up a double acting pneumatic cylinder to replace the vac motor, but the easy solution was the posi lock, and i don't need air to run it.

My axle has the disconnect hoses removed. In its detent position the axles are locked together. I was going to buy a posi-lock and have seen them but never got around to it. I agree that they are pricey but well worth the money. Fabbing one would probably end up costing close to the same price with alot more work involved and its doubtful that one could come up with a better quality solution.

I did it this weekend. I used a 10' PTO cable kit from a local parts house. Cost me $25 for this really heavy duty cable. It has a solid core wire instead of a stranded cable. A very stout and large knob on the "pull" end makes it easy to use and not prone to any breakage.

I got the fork return spring from Lowes. . . . part number 57028 in the hardware section. . . . $3.29 for two springs.

The only other thing I needed was a motorcycle clutch cable adjuster which I got free, but could be bought for a couple bucks.

After three cable trimmings for length adjustment, the operation is now smooth and easy.

I ran mine through the floorboard just above the go pedal and down the left side of the unibody (keeping it off the exhaust) and just to the front chunk. I gently turned it towards the right wheel and ran it down the axle tube and into the disco motor. I mounted the pull knob just to the left and forward of the transfer case shifter. I hand made a "v" shaped bracket to mount the pull knob assembly to the floor.

Back