• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire comparison, all chime in

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to know what off road tires you all have tried out through the years and your opinions of them.

Stock Michelins: quiet, didnt last long, decent on the wet stuff.

BFG A/T KO: decent ride, not as grippy on the wet stuff as I would like.....off road performance pending.

XJguy

There is no "Perfect" tire!Where do you live?What different types of terrain do you have?I live in Phx so we go from Snow to Rocks that are 200+degrees hot,it even rains here(can you say flooding)!

I have a set of Seiberling Trail Rider LTs on one of the MJs. They are what I've used on most of the NAXJA events I've attended and I've been satisfied. Not the most aggressive tire in the universe, but decent, also good on pavement, and reasonable price.

My personal favorite A/T-type tire is the Cooper Discoverer LT (not the Discoverer A/T). Thread pattern very similar to Dunlop Radial Rover, far better tread life than the Dunlops, good off-road and in snow, and comfortable for pavement.

I have never run a genuine mud-type tire so can't comment of those. Don't like mud very much, so I'm hoping I'll never need 'em.

Michelin LTX/MS (235/75/15):

These boys look tame as hell (very road looking) but grip better than you'd think. I've never had a traction problem (I'm not crazy, crazy, but I've taken it though a few rock gardens). When they were new the wet traction amazed me...I'm used to it now :)

Probably got about 30 - 40k on them now, damn things still look good! (can we tell that I'm trying to get bigger tires...I want them to wear out!).

I've never had them in snow, nor in any mud to speak of.

Not so great in dune sand...but then again what is?

I've been really happy with my Bridgestone Dueler AT's ... and my brother has Dueler MT's on his Ram Sport and I really, really like them, and wish that I had them instead, both a good on and off road, the AT's very quiet, while the MT's not as quiet but not nearly as loud as most other MT's I've heard.

BFG M/T

They get a little noise on the road but they can move earth if you need to. I can go more places in 2 wd in the jeep than my dad can go in 4 wd in his Ram 3/4 ton diesel.

I run Kirkland Signature (Costco) All-Terrain Tires (31x10.5R15). They've been really good. The tread pattern is fairly agressive, and I've got 28,000 miles on them so far and they still look good. They handle well on the road and are quiet. At around $80 each they were a good deal.

If you are looking for an AT type of tire, I used to beat the crap out of a set of Michelin XCX APTs. They don't look very aggressive, but they surprised me in the rocks, but, of course they were limited in the mud. I put 50,000 miles on them and they still had a lot of good tread left, probably at least 20,000 miles. I didn't treat them kindly either. I bashed them against rocks, tree stumps, mud holes, etc. I scratched up the sidewalls and they never lost any air pressure. Never had a flat either.

If you are looking for an MT, I have run SSRs and and currently running Pro Comp MTs. I have been really impressed by the Pro Comps and I really liked the SSRs too.

I second the Pro comp muds and also run Pro comp A/T's on my other XJ. The A/T's are less agressive but are sevear weather rated, which meens you don't have to chain up when every body else dose. I haven't had them off road yet but they have hella trackion in the snow. The mud's on the other hand do incredible in snow and and just as good in Moab.

PIRELLI SCORPION A/T, rode good, griped very well in wet, dry, dirt, and lite mud. wear rate 50,000+. i now have DAYTON Timberline M/T. a little more mud than street but ok. if the Pirelli Scorpion M/T are as good as A/T i would buy them, but you can'y get them in the US.

BFG A/T is a good all around tire. Ran them on the Ford for a year or so. Not too good in the Mud but can work! Am about to try Cooper Discoverer STT's. I ran a small set on my TJ b4 I sold it and was really impressed with this tire. And the price aint too bad either!

I have BFG AT KOs, 31x10.5. they wear kinda fast but they work great in pretty much everything, a real 'all-terrain'

my dad got some Wild Country TXRs on his XJ, in 235 75R15. They're pretty soft too, but seem to be holding up better than mine. These are more aggressive than my ATs(and louder, which I like), and they certainly like the mud better than ATs. I'll probably get these tires next time, The price is about the same as BFGs, and they're a nice mix between AT and MT.

i just put a set of 33in mtr's on my jeep and I LOVE them they ride great and I just got back from a little trail run and I was very impressed with them

Another vote for the Pro Comps, but I am currently exploring the issues of goodyears MT/Rs, I really like the specs and composition of this tire, my current BFGs, even @8 psi don't have a lot of sidewall flex, at least not like I'm use to, but I guess that is the trade off for a three-ply sidewall.

Here's what I'm running now -
69 CJ5 - 36" old school Swamper TSL's, air down to 8 psi or so and they'll go anywhere in the rocks, they suck on wet pavement though.
77 F250 33" Courser AT's, Great on the street in wet or snow, ok in mud, rocks ???
88 F350 35" Pro Comp Xterrains, great in mud, great in snow, good on wet pavement, great on the rocks. They are aggresive directional tires but have enough wave in the tread pattern to avoid the sideways slide that boggers give ya, and the siping makes them do very well on wet roads.
The 02 WJ and 86 XJ both have puny little stock size Goodyear AT & AP tires....work well for getting groceries :rolleyes:
Mike B.

I have been pretty much a fan of BFG MTs. I have ran these in 33"x9.50" and 33"x12.50": Strong, fairly quiet and long life. Only destroyed one @ 700 miles LOL and it was my fault - not the tires fault. I replaced it with a Wide Climber MT. This held up through some heavy duty wheeling and wore well until yesterday...pinched/slashed the sidewall between the rim and some sharp-wet rocks...killed a steel wheel too :dunno: :viking:

Had good luck with Wild Country TXR (sort of between an AT and a MT) in 33"x9.50" They were on my MJ when I bought it, and I ran them for several months before going wider.

Also bought a set of stock Sport wheels with 31x9.50" TSL Radials. These rode/handled fine and were quieter than I expected. Kinda slippy on wet roads...but I don't drive really fast in the wet. I may be using these again until I get some bigger tires/beadlock wheels for the 89

Next up...36x12.5 TSLs on 15x8 Allied(?) beadlocks

Good Year APT factory tires were long wearing and thats all I can say positive about them.
Good Year Wranger AT's, long wearing to 50K but then seemed prone to getting punctures on 3 different vehicles.
Pirealli Scorpion AT's, when sears had them for $69 a tire mounted and balanced they were the ultimate, awsome on wet and dry roads, very good off road in mud, rocks, dirt and sand. Lasted about 50K. But after the sears stopped carrying them the local tire dealers shot the price up to over $130 a tire.
Dunlop Radial rover AT, better then the Wrangler all round, hard tire and long wearing which is typical of dunlops.
Currently running BFG AT KO's, quite, handle well on dry roads, pretty good on wet roads too. Very good off road on rocks, muddy stream banks, loose dirt and stones. Had a nail puncture last week in the rear passenger side sidewall, BJ's lifetime road hazard warranty and 2 hours later I had a new tire mounted and balanced. After 10K there is no measureable wear difference between the 3 that are on there and the brandy new one. At $100 a tire mounted, balanced, warrantied it seems like a good deal plus they look nice black sidwalls out.

was i uwharrie this weekend very muddy and slick, 1 XJ had BFG M/Ts turned to red donuts a toy with Pro Comps Xterras done very good, my Dayton Timberline M/Ts suprised me with the traction that i had. cleaned out easy,

Cooper Discoverer M/T's 12.5 x 33 do a good job in mud on a moderately lifted XJ...when they wear out...14.5 x 33 SSR Swampers..lock em up and let em chew!!!!

Back