• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose steering help

ColoCherokees

NAXJA Forum User
92, 4.0, 220K, all stock. I've replaced all TREs, trackbar and the ps pump and belt. Ball joints don't seem to show any play, and the tires/wheels have been balanced/rotated. When driving, the steering wheel will suddenly have "no feel" and have about an inch of travel to left or right until "feel" or normal resistance comes back. I replaced the steering box with used unit that is supposedly good, and the steering shaft is still original - I'm thinking it's one of the two.

What/how should I check to see if the shaft is bad? If the shaft is bad, how much of PIA is it to replace? Search seems to tell me that adjusting the box is more of a fine-tuning and not really a solution to a problem like this - hope its not the box, that was not a fun job. Thanks for any insight/help.

Matt

Wil Badger said:
why did you replace the box ?same problem or feel before?

Yeah, same problems and the box had been suggested as a culprit by a couple people. The used one was only $40, so I figured it wasn't a lot of cash to lose to try and track down the problem. The steering has tightned up nicely otherwise (cured a developing death wobble) with all the other work I did, but this one problem remains.

I had that wondering feeling on my 88 XJ. I finally solved it with all new control arm bushings - upper and lower. I had done sway bar bushings and it did not help. That should fix your problem.

You can actually buy new control arms complete with bushings from the parts store and places like quadratrec. You will have to get the upper axle end bushing out of the axle, I paid a garage to do mine.

You did not mention the mileage but think that your problem, control arm bushings. But while you do the bushings also change the sway bar bushings and you will be set. I used MOOG components on my XJ.

I also installed a Mountain Offroad (MORE) steering box brace, that firmed up my steering wheel and took out the steering wheel movement when going over Rail Road tracks.

Back