• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Information

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
Hey, well, looks like now i will be running an ARB in teh front. :rolleyes: :wierd: :D:D

I need to get a compressor to run it, and I know ARB makes their own, but for the most part, ive heard nothing but bad news aboot them...

What other choices do I have? Can I hook up a York and run the locker off of that? What all would I need?

And also, the locker I got is just that, no other stuff, I know I need switches and air stuff, anyone can give me some insight or a write up, that would be great, Ill be searching, so I may find some of teh answers. :laugh3::D

Thanks in Advance!

-Andrew

The installation instructions and wiring diagrams are on their site!

I heard from a mechanic with 28 years on Jeeps that the compressor for them is best by itself. If you use a bigger compressor you will blow o rings etc. in the system.

I’m doing something along these lines. Click here. Going to make mine a little different, but it will still be similar to this. Hope this helps.
Dan.

hjeepxj said:
Hey, well, looks like now i will be running an ARB in teh front. :rolleyes: :wierd: :D:D

I need to get a compressor to run it, and I know ARB makes their own, but for the most part, ive heard nothing but bad news aboot them...

What other choices do I have? Can I hook up a York and run the locker off of that? What all would I need?

And also, the locker I got is just that, no other stuff, I know I need switches and air stuff, anyone can give me some insight or a write up, that would be great, Ill be searching, so I may find some of teh answers. :laugh3::D

Thanks in Advance!

-Andrew

As far as the compressor goes you can use what ever you want to. Me personally am using one for airing up tires as well as my ARB. You just have to reduce the pressure down between 80-100psi for the ARB.

Here is what I did/am doing:
ARB installed in my HP30, using a 3/16" to -3AN line adapter( I thing its a brake line adapter) - had to cut a little off of the adapter so it whould seat on the fitting coming out the ARB, running a -3AN line up to my firewall, -3AN to 1/8" adapter.
I bought a two way valve, regulator and fittings from these guys:
http://www.clippard.com/store/

I can give you all the part numbers to set up a little system if you want.
I basically run a line from the compressor output - stepped down to 1/8" size, through a regulator to 80-100psi output then to my valve to turn the ARB on or off, out of the valve to the ARB line 1/8"

If I confused you, send me a pm with your phone # and I can explain it better.

also check these links:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38342

Last edited:
tcharon said:
I heard from a mechanic with 28 years on Jeeps that the compressor for them is best by itself. If you use a bigger compressor you will blow o rings etc. in the system.
Umm, regulator?

r@m

onetallmj said:
IIf I confused you, send me a pm with your phone # and I can explain it better.

Actually, im not confused yet. :D

onetallmj said:
I can give you all the part numbers to set up a little system if you want.

Shoot. :cheers:

Thanks for all the help guys!

Brad Kilby has just about everything you could possibly need no matter what your setup, along with a ton of useful info. They were also very good to work with as far as answering questions and shipping orders out quickly. In particular check out the diagram on the FAQ page.
http://www.onboardair.com/

I have actually been impressed with the Viaair 450's. I've been shutting them off at 150 psi. I've also ran an old Thomas compressor which is better than the ARB's (have to do an external tank) but only has a 33% duty cycle so airing up still sucks. The 450 will air 3 tires up in the time it take the Thomas to do one.

The ARB does need to be regulated. I use 1/8" Amflo diaphram regulators. You need to make sure you get a regulator and not a flow limiter.

Here is my setup. You can ignore all the Airbag valves, but it gives you an idea. I have a line that comes from the tank, then the air chuck for my hose, then to the regulator and out to the valves.

Go pickup a Truckin magazine or one of the lower rider rags. Ton's of adds for compressor and plumbing stuff. The Thomas compressor Currie sells for $500 can be had for a little over $300 most places and the Viaair 450 usually runs for $180 - $225.

valves3-sm.jpg

Back