• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's LA Upgrade-

i use the 8" kit haven't had much trouble with it .i'm happy

348leftarm-med.JPG

348rightarm-med.JPG

i moved the front rear forward an inch and a half so i had to cut the swaybar back to make it fit without sticking into the spring itself

348swaybar-med.JPG

it flexs good so good i need limiter straps in the front.the back could flex some more .maybe some revolver shackles .i would possibly even use some one elses rear springs .i know i'm thinking of going coil or coil-over in the next year or two.

Wow......Looks nice. Do you think his LA Upgrade package is the same long
arm set up you have with the 8" setup?
Any further pics of the Tranny support are & his brackets on the uni-body?
Was that a welded assembly or a bolt-up assembly in that area? The photos
on his site appear to show a welded assembly.
Your install looks pretty sweet!!

i'll take some more give me a second to go out and take some .it's a full bolt on system it can be removed and installed over and over again .it is the same system as the 6 only with 6.5 inch spring and a 1.5 spacer. to get the 8 .i think this is better than a true eight in coil because they tend to colapse out when they are that tall.

348bellypan-med.jpg

ok here it goes

1. the slot is were the belly pan slides and lockes into using bolts
2-3. the bolts that retain the belly pan

348bellypan1-med.jpg

after undoing the arms, the bolts that hold the belly pan,and the trans spacer you slide the pan to one side and it drops out .

like i said i like it but it's not for everybody.i was looking at FullTractions kit but at the time of purchase it was out of production .the kits sold faster then lightning and they had already retooled for a different kit and were not looking to retool for the kit i want fro something like 3 or 4 months and i was going to have to go on a list at that .not i don't think so. the rustys kit was under 2 grand if purchased right and it performs fine.

Buy something else, don't get Rusty's arms. I'm a german wholesaler and it stopped selling Rusty's crap after several bushings gave.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

These are Rusty's long arms and the bushings broke on both sides at the same time. I'm lucky that it happened while going down the trailer at home.

nice to know .i will make sure to keep an eye on that .i was kinda thinking i wanted to cut those ends off and put on some rod ends and changing the mounts as well when i did the track bar.

did you cut the end off to see how thick the tube was.they seem beefy but that doesn't mean jack.

like i said i was looking at Full Traction.

FTS7206.jpg

but just like every other company i have heard thing about this lift as well.there is something with everything out there thats were having a brain comes in and changing thing to deal with what you do or how you drive.

i learned this lesson as i replaced every part on a 79 bronco till it had one ton running gear under it and a blown 460 which was the parts killer.

Why don't you just build your own if you already plan to cut off things?

because if the bars are thick enough to reuse i will .they are the right lenght and i like the way the belly pan works and blots in.if i have to have new ones made i will but that will be in the future.

Thanks for those great pics Wil Bagner, totally see the deal now! :thumbup:

As far as failure goes, that does look like a pretty skimpy pcs of steel that let
go, it let go at the weld which tells me it was undercut or the steel is just not
heavy enough in that area to take the beating.....or both.

I've installed a Full Traction LA Kit on a TJ with some friends in the past, nice
kit but....ALOT of drilling and the belly pan was wrong, had to modify it until
a correct one was supplied by FT (over 2 months).
Heard or seen anyone with that kit installed? Thier site dosent seam to show
much on the topic....

Would'nt take but a couple hours to correct or beef that area on Rusty's now
knowing its a weak link, simple upper & lower radioused gusset would do the
job without much effort.

Not discounting that XJoachim had a problem he also doesn't tell you that he modified the parts and removed one of the upper arms and he is also running it on D60.

I have been running Rustys for 5 year his LA for the last year had it is great...Easy to install.

well the D60's added weight would easily rip those straps a new one.no wonder they broke.plus not running the top bars will cause the axle to rotate putting even more strain on those straps .

Ahhh......the rest of the story emerges!! I even read his sig. but never gave
it a thought.
Well, at the very least, we learned of an area to keep an eye on. Next we'll
see pictures of him jumping a school bus or something................... :scared:

XJoachim said:
Buy something else, don't get Rusty's arms. I'm a german wholesaler and it stopped selling Rusty's crap after several bushings gave.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

These are Rusty's long arms and the bushings broke on both sides at the same time. I'm lucky that it happened while going down the trailer at home.
OMFG!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WTF!?! didnt you realize that you were at fault in the last thread?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32142&highlight=rustys+long+arm+breakage

it wasnt designed to handle a D60 with only one upper...

:firedevil Hasta ok, im done now.... :soapbox:

Terry's response is making me real happy.

happy, happy, happy :wave: ...

I replaced those whimpy mounts with RE SF joints and they hold up really well. Why? Because they are double the wall of those old skinny "bulletproof trail tested tough" ones. These were not the first bushings i broke. I broke short arm bushings (upper and lower) with a D30 front, they looked the same like these.

All those people telling it happened because i have a 60 front and just one upper arm could not tell me why the single arm still was there and the 2 lowers let go. One guy told me it was about the flex of my front because the lower bushing gave because it rotated and the bushing had to give. In fact it was Rusty, but he couldn't explain to me how the axle side bushing was able to twist with a radius arm design. :yelclap:

Buy his junk but be prepared that this carnage can happen to you too. :moon:

Back