• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radio antena

mark huber

NAXJA Forum User
is there a way to change the antena without tearing out the dash. how does the old one come out. this is a 1996 sport. it has a bad end on the wire where it plugs into the radio.

OK. I’m not sure if yours is set up the same way as mine. In my ’91 you have to remove the inner plastic fender covering and you can see a rubber plug with the cable that goes into the cab. To get that rubber plug out you have to remove the passenger kick panel trim and push it out from the inside of the cab. There is a push type of connection on the cable just after it enters the cab. If you get lucky you may only need to replace the part of the cable that runs from the cab to the radio. That would be a lot easier than replacing every thing from the antenna to the radio. The cable runs from just inside the cab up behind the dash and into the back of the radio. You will have to remove the plastic dash insert to get the radio out and unplug the cable. The whole thing took me about four hours, but I had to fabricate a mount for a power antenna and do some creative wiring to get it to work the way I wanted. If you are just replacing a fixed antenna and require no additional wiring, figure about an hour and a half to get it done.

You do need to remove the dash bezel of course to get to the connector end at the radio, but I think you realize that already. You don't need to pull the antenna mast though, there's an antenna connector just inside the firewall on the passenger side. However, I'm pretty sure there's a connector of some sort holding the antenna cable behind the dash near the HVAC, as I've tried to remove my antenna cable but it's pinned back there.

Back