• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Prepping for a hot environment...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Hopefully by next summer my xj will be living in southern Fl. :) but I'll only visit it on vacations :mad: (mixed emotions, trying to buy a vacation home down there, living almost free w/girlfriend up here is cool) :heart:

What can I do to keep my '98 4.0 cool down there? I'm going to run searches, I know about Flowkooler, hood vents, manual fan switches, but any other info would be appreciated. Plus, the xj will prolly sit for months between visits, no other drivers.

Thanks,

Mike/NY #300

Since the XJ was designed with sufficient cooling for the State of Florida, I'd ignore the Flowkoolers, hood vents and manual fan switches. Instead, restore the system to factory specs and ensure that every component is in good operating order.

Pick up a jug of 8-hour flush and run that for a day. I think Prestone is the one I've used. Then tear down the system and flush the block with a garden hose in both directions until you're satisfied that all the gunk is out and the water is flowing clear. If you've got 80K+ miles on the odometer, replace the radiator with a good Modine unit. Regardless of mileage, replace the fan clutch, thermostat, pressure cap and hoses. I wouldn't worry about the water pump unless you suspect that it is bad. Button things up and replace with a 50-50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled water. Check it out over a few days of driving to ensure all is well and running around 200°.

I have the rear of my hood raised with 1/2" spacers, but it only seems to help on the trail. I also installed a manual fan override switch, but I can think of a single time that using it has done any noticable good.

Stick with the basics.

Ditto!

If the stock stuff is in good working order, you won't have any problems.

Well being a FLoridian I can tell you these guys are right. I've only had one jeep that I couldn't keep cool and it had issues other than the cooling system. On all my other rigs if everything was in good order I had no problems.
Come check out www.floridajeepers.net We have a good group.

Glad to have another Jeeper around...I agree with everybody else about the cooling system.

Modine radiators are available at NAPA...the new one for my MJ was 139 bucks...the local rad shop wanted 250 bucks to recore my old one.

Oh...and if yah like rocks.....load the back of the XJ up and bring some. The local constabulary frowns on rock crawling on the seawall rip rap.

Things to study up on before you come down: Fire Ants, Yellow Jackets, the best way to rig a snatch rope and how to tell sugar sand from regular sand.

Terms to learn: Yahonnagitmuddy? = Would you like to go riding? Yahungree? = Lets have lunch.

Back