• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Part Swap

gooch27

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the internal and external parts of a High Pinion Dana 30 will fit into and onto a low pinion Dana 30? the High pinion is from an '02 TJ, and the low pinion is on my '96 XJ.

No. Hi and lo pinion Dana 30s use different rings and pinions. At least I’ve seen them listed separately with different part numbers when I was looking for gears. I would assume that the bearings, seals, and carriers are interchangeable.

You mean HP from your 96 and LP from the TJ.

Anyway, everything is pretty much the same except the gears. Your XJ axle may have 260 joints, not sure on the cut off years. The TJ will have 297s for sure.
The brakes and bearings may/may not swap between the two. There have been a few minor changes over the years.

I seem to recall that the hub assemblies are different for the TJs and XJs. That may have more to do with the u-joint size, 260s vs 297s, and ABS or lack there of than anything else.

First of all - which way are you going with this swap? Strengthwise, the high-pinion is preferrable, and that's in the 96 XJ, not the TJ. Both of them should have the 297 u-joints, but I'm pretty sure the entire axle assembly can be swapped over if this is going into the TJ.

I'll try to explain what I'm doing a little better. I have a '96 Jeep cherokee with an HP Dana 30. I also have a full set(front and rear) of axles from an '02 TJ. I am going to put the Dana 44(rear) from the tj onto the XJ. For the front axle, I would like to keep the HP housing because of the obvious benefits of being an HP. I am just wondering if I can take everything off of the tj LP and throw it in and on my HP XJ axle. I hope this clarifies a little better what I am trying to accomplish....Thanks

everything but the ring and pinion. these are high, and low specific, but the shafts should work, brakes, I think, and even the carrier, bearings, and hubs, should swap between LP, and HP, but not the ring and pinion.

i remember hearing somewhere that the hubs are interchangable too ONLY IF YOU SWAP THE MATCHING ROTORS along with it....

The 96 XJ should already have 297 u-joints.

Back