• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help UN-installing Locker

Tim_MN

Freakish Hand Strength
NAXJA Member
I Found an XJ at the Junkyard with front and rear lockers and gears. I have never done any work inside the diffs. Can anybody point me to a webpage with some explainatons and pictures? I did a search and still am not clear on the procedure. Maybe someone can give me a brief lesson. The rear has shafts removed already. I know I have to remove 4 bolts and the saddle looking things. The do I just pry it out? Do I need a case spreader for an xj? On the front I will remove 3 bolts on the outer hub. Will the shafts just pull out now? Then just like the rear or not? Thanks a bunch, Tim

It also depends on what type of rear axle you have? the Chry 8.25 has spanners that adjust the diff carrier side to side, while the dana 35 should just pop out once you remove the "saddle thingys" (these are the main bearing caps). Mark them with an awl so the same cap will go back on the correct side and have the top upwards if you are going to reuse the axle. Most people mark the top of the right cap with two awl marks, and the side of the differential with corresponding marks near the top of the cap, and the left side with one awl mark, and one on the diff.
You can use a small prybar to pop the diff carrier out, but be ready to catch it (dont let it fall on your head).
also get the pinions because they are matched to the ring gears (this is probably obvious, if so I mean no offense)

as for the front if its a non disco dana 30 you should also be able to pop the carrier out once you remove the bearing caps, and pull the axle shafts out a bit (again you have to mark the caps right and left side,like above) If it is a disconnect axle you have to remove the vacume actuator to pull the inner shaft (I have never done this, but it should be fairly straightforward I would imagine). Hope this helps

Thanks for the help. I got both of them and the gears are 4.11's. :)

Back