• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel and Alignemt

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
After some messin with my front end on my xj i understand i need a alignment but need to correct this steering issue before i take it in. In the morning when its cold out when turning my steering wheel towards the ends the steering wheel squeels and i get the feeling it is spinning (the steering wheel) but my steering linkages arent as my wheels arent turning. The reason i say this is because sometimes i will drive and to drive straight my steerirng wheel will be dead center but sometimes especially when this incident occurs my steering wheel will be a bit off center for me to drive straight. I am guessing the steering wheel needs to be tightened ot maybe something else is bad ?

pete

check your rod ends for slop and lubrication, zerks are suppsed to be greased...

Anyone else have any ideas ? Its very strange i just came back from a drive and when i started driving the steering wheel was dead on center for the majority of the drive which was straight. Interestingly enough after a few turns my steering wheel became off and its now a bit towrds the left to go striaght. I am sure after a few more turns it will go back to the center.

pete

If you changed the tie rod ends, it's very possible that the toe-in is messed up. If it's way off, depending on weight, road surface, and road camber one tire or the other may be the "dominant" tire, so you're steering wheel will reflect the direction that tire is pointing. Get on a section of road that puts more load/traction on the opposite wheel, and suddenly that side dominates.

Get it to an alignment shop, tell them what you're experiencing, and let them figure it out.

Back