• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for some help from 1991 FSM

xj4rocks

NAXJA Forum User
If you have a 1991 XJ FSM with all the engine info in it, Please contact me. I need to see the one page explaining the emissions controls for the 4.0. I'm having a debate with my local emissions inspection station. I kind of need this info sooner than later so any help now is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you. PM me or email at xj4rocks / excite.com

Bob

I have a full set of 1991 FSM's ... are you looking for the smaller book that illustrates fuel injection/ignition/emission controls ??

I can get you what you're looking for, but I wouldn't be able to get you the scanned pages you need until next week. This is Friday ... my books are at home ... and my scanner is at work.

In the 1988 FSM i have it has a short blurb in the general motor section that says that the emissions uses an EGR system blah blah blah. well i want to see/read that same section regarding the 1991 engine.

Also/or a Fuel Evaporative System Diagram for the 4.0. That would show what I need.

If you could scan that for me or take a digital photo that is readable that would be excellent.

Thanks!

If your XJ is a '91, I don't think you have an EGR system. I'll check the sections you're referring to and scan them into a pdf and email them on Monday morning.

Is the issue you don't have an EGR system the argument with the inspectors ?

xj4rocks said:
In the 1988 FSM i have it has a short blurb in the general motor section that says that the emissions uses an EGR system blah blah blah. well i want to see/read that same section regarding the 1991 engine.

Also/or a Fuel Evaporative System Diagram for the 4.0. That would show what I need.

If you could scan that for me or take a digital photo that is readable that would be excellent.

Thanks!

Nope. My ’91 doesn’t have an EGR. It does have a PCV, but its kind of misleading. It doesn’t look or work like a PCV in any other vehicle I’ve seen. It’s the rear hose coming off of your valve cover and it’s just a piece of plastic with a small hole in it, not really a valve at all. If it or the tube that comes off of it becomes clogged it will mess up your tail pipe readings. The valve is $8 and the tube is a couple of bucks from the dealer, the only place you can get them.

xj4r:

Wiley Coyote is correct, if your XJ is a 1991 4.0L then you DO NOT have an EGR system. I looked in the 1991 FSM's and there's no reference in the main book "general motor section", only in the Electrical, Heating-AC & Emissions manual.

If your request is over this argument, whether or not you DO or DON"T have an EGR system, just point the inspector toward the factory emssions control label affixed to the firewall ajacent to the master cylinder. The label identifies: year, conformity to EPA regulations ... engine displacement, evaporative family, specifications, adjustments, and the SAME diagram you'll see in the FSM that illustrates the emission control system---which happens to be a PCV and Catalyst system.

Unless your emissions control system has been modified ... then there's no argument.

This should be enough to prove your case.

Last edited:
Yes this is in direct regards to not having the EGR system. And yes i know 91's don't have an EGR. that's why they're complaining. They tell me they're only to inspect for what came original in the vehicle with no room for motor swaps or emissions control changes. Well my 1988 truck no longer has an EGR because it's got a 91 motor in it.

although i finally talked with someone higher up in PA's inspection chain and he told me that as long as it was a newer motor swap and all of the factory emissions equip for the newer motor were in place that I would pass. He was going to call my shop and let them know. ( the rules are not written very well and this guy said that this is a common misunderstanding of the rules. ) i just want some proof of what is supposed to be on a 91 so they can't nail me for something i didn't expect.

I appreciate you scanning that fuel system page. Thanks.

Bob

Back