• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Years for 5 speeds in XJs

umdjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking into buying a Cherokee within the next year...my only requirements are that it is a 5 speed, 4 door, and 4x4.

What were the last model years that i could get this combo? Thanks for your replies

They had them up to the end however you may have some difficulty finding a 2000/2001. I think those years were either order only or they just made a limited run. There were plenty of '99s at the time I was looking.

I have a '94 that had to be special ordered. If you're going to lift it you may want to consider the fact that the 5 speeds come with 3.07 gears which are aweful with larger tires.

umdjeep said:
I'm looking into buying a Cherokee within the next year...my only requirements are that it is a 5 speed, 4 door, and 4x4.

What were the last model years that i could get this combo? Thanks for your replies
all years although the later you go, the rarer they are.

5-speed was available in all years. The rarest is probably 2000, when they made only a very few in the final end-or-year production run before shutting down for the model year changeover. In 2001 you could get one at any time ... but they were typically special order because dealers don't like to keep 5-speeds in inventory. Too hard to sell.

I have a 1985 2 door and mine is a 5 speed and it came from the factory with 3.73 gears.

So not all early models were 4 speeds with 3.07 gears.

Neither one...2.8 L V-6

http://www.baeta.org/opie/History.htm

look at this - might help you decide on the best for you

also consider looking into getting a 4.0L HO engine - they have been proven to run for a long time and the extra power is well worth it. 91+ IIRC...

I've had no problems with my V6. I think it was a fine engine. All the power I needed. I actually have had more trouble with the transmission...rebuilt once, and gone through two clutches in 30,000 miles.

I am looking now for an automatic.

Cottontail said:
I've had no problems with my V6. I think it was a fine engine. All the power I needed. I actually have had more trouble with the transmission...rebuilt once, and gone through two clutches in 30,000 miles.

I am looking now for an automatic.
I didn’t think that you get an auto with anything other than the 4.0L. I’m pretty sure that an AW4 won’t bolt up to a 2.8.

If you want a 5-speed manual then go for a ’97 and up. The previous years used the BA10 tranny. In ’97 they switched to the AX15 tranny, the same one that they use in TJs. It has a much better reputation for strength and longevity.

My understanding was that the early XJs used the same transmission as the YJs, which was the BA10. They didn’t switch to the AX15 until the TJs, which was ’97. I believe that they started putting the AX15s in the XJs and TJs at the same time. I could be all wrong - I don’t fool around with the manuals, I stick with the AW4 auto.

Wiley Coyote said:
My understanding was that the early XJs used the same transmission as the YJs, which was the BA10. They didn’t switch to the AX15 until the TJs, which was ’97. I believe that they started putting the AX15s in the XJs and TJs at the same time. I could be all wrong - I don’t fool around with the manuals, I stick with the AW4 auto.
AX15 came our earlier then that.

AX4 - 4 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used 84-86 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines
AX5 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used with 2.8L V6 and 87+ with 2.5L I4
BA10/5 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Peugot - used only up to April '89
AX15 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used with 4.0L I6 engines
NV3550 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by New Venture - used in 00-01 in SE models with 4.0L I6 engines

Automatic Transmissions Torqueflight 904 - 3 speed automatic - used 84-86 with 2.8L V6 engine and ?
30RH - 3 speed automatic - used with 2.5L I4 engine 94?-00
AW4 - 4 speed automatic, electronically controlled - manufactured by Aisin - used from 87-01 4.0L I6 (87-91 models include a Power/Comfort button that adjusts the shift points).

The AX-15 was introduced to the XJ in middle of the 1989 production year. My '89 was manufactured in April '89 and has one.

As far a search goes, I just did this a few months ago and replaced said '89 with a '99 (4.0 4x4 5-speed, 4 door). Good luck. They're out there, but it's hard to get all your needs met at once. I found that even if one met all the req's it might not have full gauges. Just be patient and check online classifieds on a regular basis (cars.com seems pretty good).

You have geography on your side; I found more 5 speeds out west than here on the east coast.

Wiley Coyote said:

SPOBI!!!

I have a 2001 sport with lots of options, and a manual, I am 99% sure its a NV3500. I am betting that the years of transmission usage are the same as for TJs, and YJs. Jeep seems to re-use different parts on the whole line if possible. (this would make sense since TJs supposedly swithced to NV3500s around 1999?) either way I was confused by my XJ, becuse it was sold to me as a 2001, but it has a 1999 XJ owners manual in the glove box. whats the deal with that? did jeep just use the same manual after they extended production, or what? The owner of the dealership told me that he thought mine might be one of as few as 1,000 2001 manual transmission XJs built? I dunno.

Back